Extending the extended warranty for a 6th year £236!

480bhp

204 DSG SWB T6
T6 Pro
I'm not sure if anyone has looked in to this yet, but my 150,000 mile 5 year warranty is due to end on the 30th of November.

So i've checked, and VW will offer an additional years warranty at a cost, this is to cover all parts on a van with 115,000 miles at present, driving over 15,000 miles per year (that's the option on the system)

Now i didn't expect it to be cheap, but considering i paid about £800 for the extra 2 years upto 150,000 miles, i was thinking along the lines of a similar amount for the extra year.

But £800 would barely scratch the surface, the price for 12 months additional warranty is £236.46 per month! £2797.67 for the year (it's a few pence more for the 1st payment)

Now i've a decision to make, i was intending keeping the van for a while as there's nothing that stands out as a better option, but at the present mileage and the fact it has been in the garage a few times this year for warranty repairs, along with the usual servicing.

It's currently waiting for a diagnostic visit for coolant loss, probably EGR related, but the earliest they can fit it in, is Mid September! when i wold them i'll probably do another 2-3000 miles before then, they just said to keep topping up (currently losing 2ml per mile, which is a significant and potentially damaging amount)

Each time it's in the garage i'm losing money as i can't work from a loan van.

I'm now considering replacing the T6, got quotes on a new Vito 119 Auto (Cheaper than the equivalent T6.1, but the cabin is poor by comparison) and a Transit Custom 185 Auto (Cheaper still, but issues with security and it can only tow 1800kg braked, might be able to get an increase to 2500kg apparently, does have the best cabin of all the medium vans though) None of the other options are really viable due to engine/payload/towing restrictions with an Auto Box, Don't fancy going for a manual as there just not practical for todays stop start traffic.

Surely you could get a lease deal on something new for the cost of that warranty? Especially if it's just a tool for work.

If you have a sentimental attachment to the T6, then retire it to light duties where it won't really cost anything to run and maintain, or cash it in whilst the used market is very good.

Back