What have I gone and bought..?

Earnest Electric

VIP Member
G'day people,

In local parlance I've just bought a dual cab ute... or tray top to be more precise but as the glovebox manual is yet to arrive I'm trying to figure out exactly what I've got in Volkswagen jargon.

Being an antipodean model I suspect it was shipped on Noah's boat and thus took forever to be delivered. I fully expect there could be some discrepancies between Australian specifications and those countries with for example, actual fuel standards beyond the "she'll be right" kind of stuff dispensed here.

Build is listed as 8/15 but local compliance was 11/16 & first registration was 31/3/2017..!

Despite that it's only covered 59 000km so far.

I know it's black, 4motion, 6 speed manual sadly without a rear diff lock. There's factory alloy wheels installed bythe dealer, better aftermarket tray, drawers, air helper springs & Bilstein dampers all round. I'm lead to believe it's a 4cyl 2litre diesel and there's a couple turbos that make 132kW/400Nm (175 'awsepower?)

The stickers in the door jambs are of course full of code but none of it means much to the untrained eye, so I thought I should ask the experts... because the local dealers aren't much use in my experience.

It seems likea pretty good jigger so far but I've got a couple pressing concerns at the top of the upgrade list.

Firstly it needs an electric trailer brake controller fitted... the existing trailer base appears to have just been hacked into the rear loom with scotchlock connectors :/ So I don't know if there's a control module, factory wiring kit or anything else already fitted except that I'll need a brake light signal to feed the electric brake unit.

Secondly, all the locals driving Tojo Landcruisers, Navaras etc are mad for installing aftermarket crankcase breather catch cans... like this thing :

Is there a good reason not to use one of these on Europe's finest emissions dodging engineering?

Thanks in advance anyway...

Cheers

20211016_150137.jpg

20211016_150303.jpg

20211016_150225.jpg

20211016_154450.jpg

if there's a control module, factory wiring kit or anything else already fitted
Under dash by steering column there should be a configuration label, which has either code 1D0 or 1D7. The latter, 1D7, means the van has all the wiring and control module for trailer from factory - so basically plug and play.
Is there a good reason not to use one of these on Europe's finest emissions dodging engineering?
There already is a built-in system in the engine. Specifically for your engine described here, p.13:
Some discussion around the subject in the Forum:

EDIT:
Also could you please take/post picture of your EGR cooler sticker - next to oil filter - it looks like this (size approx. 4cm x 2 cm):
cfca-rev_d_-b-_20190610-jpg.119785

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

One of the benefits of VIP membership is that @Pauly will get you the build sheet if you PM him your VIN
:thumbsup:

Lots of it is in German though so good luck with translating
:slow rofl:

You could make some fantastic accomodation facility on the flatbed :)

I’ve seen these called a ‘Doka’ in ebay adverts.

Thanks people.

Seems there isn't a sticker under the column... but I have been given the build sheet via the forum. Cheers!

Turns out it does have the trailer towing package, hence the numpty towbar installer has just used scotch-locks & tape to fit a 7 pin trailer base... as an auto electrician those ruddy things kept me in a job.

Does anyone have experience of installing an electric trailer brake controller? Particularly where to pick up a brake light signal? I've seen modern installs that actually run a brake light wire all the way from the trailer base rear of the vehicle...

Under dash by steering column there should be a configuration label, which has either code 1D0 or 1D7. The latter, 1D7, means the van has all the wiring and control module for trailer from factory - so basically plug and play.

There already is a built-in system in the engine. Specifically for your engine described here, p.13:
Some discussion around the subject in the Forum:

EDIT:
Also could you please take/post picture of your EGR cooler sticker - next to oil filter - it looks like this (size approx. 4cm x 2 cm):
cfca-rev_d_-b-_20190610-jpg.119785

This is mine...
QR code spat out a number a follows :
03L1155120000151140012lll87027560900
20211025_213109.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: mmi
If you’re prewired, all that is done. Have a rummage in the cubby-hole in the rear quarter (passenger side) and you’ll see the plug for it!

This is mine...
QR code spat out a number a follows :
03L1155120000151140012lll87027560900
View attachment 134681
That looks a pre-REV D EGR cooler for a CFCA. Not good news.
Hmm... The EGR (cooler) issue before version "D=good" was only on engines (code CFCA) built before approx. mid-2015.
View attachment 119785

Actually I'd expect to see a totally different engine (code CXEB, also known as 204PS engine) in a 2017 van - the engine code is on configuration label (under dash). Or just post a picture of the engine.

If you’re prewired, all that is done. Have a rummage in the cubby-hole in the rear quarter (passenger side) and you’ll see the plug for it!
Yeah I found a likely looking plug under the rear chassis crossmember...

The device I need to install is controls the service brakes on the trailer... they're actually a nice little proportional controller that can be fixed under the dash or anywhere in the vehicle really with a remote knob to adjust it.

Has 4 connections:
-Battery supply via circuit breaker.
-Earth.
-Service brake wire, to the trailer axles.
-Brake light signal, which operates the controller when you put your foot on the pedal and also backfeeds the brake lights if you push the trailer brake button on the dash.

Is this something I can read up on?

As mentioned I wouldn't be surprised if the antipodean option package was just the dregs that nobody else wants... :p

Plus plenty of online content outside of the T6 Forum.
I believe that VW have replaced wrecked engines but may not have admitted there is a issue that requires recall.

If your engine has 59000 Km under it’s belt the Rev C EGR cooler may well started the cylinder wear.
You’ll soon know as the oil consumption will be excessive. For reference I have a CFCA and I‘ve never needed to top up the oil.
If oil consumption and cylinder pressures are good I would consider replacing the EGR unit with Rev D.
Good luck.

Sorry to butt in but does a euro 5 caac 140 engine have this problem. I cant find a label on my egr cooler to identify type fitted.
I have had the van from new and haven't heard of this before, thanks.

Back