Make Your Own Trailer/caravan?

Highline

Commercial Catering Engineer
T6 Pro
Anyone got a homemade caddy trailer? Looking at one to buy or make. Anyone selling one or hot any advice?

Cheers

Hardly worth the effort for what they cost to make one. Look on eBay seem to be quite a few on there

What sort of costs to put together? I can get the raw materials for about £250

We've all seen the Bays, Beetles, even T5s and loads of other types of vehicle, where the owner has given up trying to get the vehicle roadworthy, whipped the engine out and converted it into some sort of trailer or even caravan. The idea is usually to have this match your existing roadworthy vehicle and painted to match, like this sort of thing
CfE1mOMy.jpg

But what's the legality of this? Do they have to have some sort of type approval? MOT? Any sort of inspection? Or can you just make something like this and bung a trailer hitch on it and just tell your insurance company you're towing a trailer?

So it seems it's all down to weight, under a ton and you can more or less do what you like. Not that I'm thinking of doing it, just seen a few of them about recently, inc one on George Clarke's tiny house series and it set me wondering.
Afaik, any trailer built since 2012 must be type approved. Any trailer over 750kg gross weight must be braked.
Willing to stand corrected

You do know that's not actually a converted VW @andys?
It's a fibreglass shell made to replicate a Splitscreen camper, with a standard trailer chassis. We've worked on one before, and they are not very nice up close. More of a gimmick than a practical trailer.

We've all seen the Bays, Beetles, even T5s and loads of other types of vehicle, where the owner has given up trying to get the vehicle roadworthy, whipped the engine out and converted it into some sort of trailer or even caravan. The idea is usually to have this match your existing roadworthy vehicle and painted to match, like this sort of thing
View attachment 38860

But what's the legality of this? Do they have to have some sort of type approval? MOT? Any sort of inspection? Or can you just make something like this and bung a trailer hitch on it and just tell your insurance company you're towing a trailer?
I guess there’s space for the spare clutch and tool kit in the trailer!

You do know that's not actually a converted VW @andys?
It's a fibreglass shell made to replicate a Splitscreen camper, with a standard trailer chassis. We've worked on one before, and they are not very nice up close. More of a gimmick than a practical trailer.
To be honest I didn't really look at it, it was just the first image I found on Google as an example. Trust me to grab a fake :laugh:

I wonder if he has the fire brigade following him when he parks up on grass in a dry summer, the exhaust will set 1" high grass on fire I should think.:eek:

Salty Spuds is correct.
I own an Ifor Williams 2 tonne trailer, but Ifor Williams website reckons no test required.

I've heard rumours that in the near future all trailers will require an MOT. Is this true? » Towing & Towing Laws » Ifor Williams Trailers Ltd - Britain's Leading Trailer Manufacturer

@Eli1264 I've seen these but they weren't at camper jam, although I think i know the one you mean the white trailer?

Dub box
No mate, same idea only on a T5/6 and they were an empty shell. they were at the Telford show last year, main hall on the right

Back