Trailer lid

cy294

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all, we are off to France in a few weeks and looking to take our small trailer, which is similar to the Erde 122.

We only have the water proof cover for it and not any type of lockable lid. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can make it more secure, instead of just having the canvas cover.

I've priced an ABS lockable lid and can't afford to spend £400 + for one.

Thanks all.

maybe a wire net like Pacsafe do for rucksacks, with a long rope cable lock securing it in place, only stops opportunists though, anyone equipped with a pair of wire cutters could get in.

When we had a similar trailer before we got the box trailer I made up a set of ratchet load straps (2 across and 1 along) that I put around the trailer and cover. I made it so the "tail" of the strap was quite long and melted a hole through both when tight with a hot skewer so that I could put a long shackle padlock through both.

It was only really suitable for protection while spending 10 mins bio break or grabbing takeaway. We did try a sheet of thin ply over the top but under the cover but was too cumbersome. We just used to fill it with the bulky camp furniture and the massive canvas tent that an opportunist wouldn't be interested in. Even so twice we came back to the cover pulled back in one corner in broad daylight in busy service area...

The thing to consider is what's the value of the stuff in the trailer? If it's more than £400 then the cost of the proper locking top doesn't seem so bad?

thinking out aloud, but I'm wondering if you could do something with a roofbox? either mount it on top of the trailer and store stuff in that (they are generally lockable) with additional storage (only accessible through the tailgate) under it which you could put some port of latch/lock on if you was putting anything of value in there. They pop up on marketplace/eBay for reasonable money but would obviously need some engineering to make it all work/look OK so i guess it depends how handy you are?

The problem I found with the simple lightweight trailers is the sides are so thin they really can't take much weight at all, hence why those locking tops there are are quite lightweight affairs.

We did look into roof rail mounts for ours as we did think about locking the big top box on top, but the weight rating of the bars was so small it would mostly have been used up by the box itself. I think they are mostly used for bikes. Plus not cheap either Towsure Trailer Load Bars

IMO you would probably enjoy your holiday far more by leaving the trailer at home and taking less stuff.
Parking, reversing, concerns over theft, additional costs, speed limitations….

Back