Main Battery Charger - Would this setup work?

mrkwats

Hi Guys, been reading up on best way to trickle charge my main battery. I’ve got a late 2019 T6 150 manual, used purely as a day van, it has no extra accessories, no leisure battery etc. Whilst used only for long trips in the main, the van (especially this time of year) can sit offsite (caravan storage park) for up to 6 weeks.

I went to check battery yesterday morning (van had been sitting for 4 weeks in the cold) and multimeter reported 11.9V (know it’s not good to fall under 12V!). Van starts fine and no warnings etc. I drove 60 miles yesterday, have just checked battery this morning and it shows a healthier 12.2V.

So time for a battery tender I think, and have read most posts on here inc DellMassive’s brilliant write-ups, but it‘s still a minefield being honest!

See attached for my battery (factory Varta 70Ah 420A DIN 700A), and also attached pic of what I plan to buy (CTEK MXS 5.0 with extension cable and also cigarette lighter connector). I plan to run CTEK extension cable out through garage and into van via tailgate then attach to 12V socket in van.

Will this work as follows:

1. Does CTEK Support AGM Stop/Start Battery?
2. Is lower dash 12V socket in van permanent live?
3. CTEK cigarette lighter cable is limited to 7A, with CTEK pushing out 5A so this should well be within 10A limit of 12V van socket.

Thanks

Mark.

2662DE01-4269-41D1-AFE8-26B6405DD69C.jpeg

D0457939-78E7-4529-9349-1580F9600B4A.jpeg

57ECA9B3-3B94-4EAE-BC98-23FABA746457.jpeg

Exactly that setup.

Have used mine over 2 winter's now. Lower dash socket.

Mine is parked outside my front door, so tend to charge it once a fortnight while not using it.

looks good to me .. .

The CTEK MXS5 is a 5A charger so will work fine - Amazon.co.uk : ctek mxs5

1. Does CTEK Support AGM Stop/Start Battery? - YES

2. Is lower dash 12V socket in van permanent live? - YES

3. CTEK cigarette lighter cable is limited to 7A, with CTEK pushing out 5A so this should well be within 10A limit of 12V van socket. - YES

+++

1642934035001.png

+++

The MXS 5.0 is an advanced microprocessor controlled battery charger with automatic temperature compensation built in providing unrivalled performance on lead-acid batteries from 1.2Ah up to 110Ah. The MXS 5.0 solves a broad range of battery problems and is the ideal charger for the user with high demands. Features of the MXS 5.0 include diagnosis of battery condition to establish if it can receive and retain charge, patented automatic desulphation step and a special reconditioning step that will revive and restore deeply discharged and stratified batteries. AGM option is perfect for maximising performance and life of most Stop-Start batteries.

The built in temperature compensation ensures ideal charging performance even in the most extreme conditions. Patented Float/Pulse maintenance makes the MXS 5.0 ideal for long-term maintenance.

The entire process of battery testing, charging and maintenance is easily followed on the clear LED display. The MXS 5.0 is a fully automatic "connect and forget" 12V charger with 8 charging steps and offers selectable , and programmes.

The RECOND and AGM options operate individually or together in both and programmes providing great flexibility for the user. Wide charging range on all lead-acid battery types from 1.2Ah up to110Ah with additional maintenance capability to 160Ah.

Splash proof and dust proof (IP65). The MXS 5.0 is easy and safe to use, protects vehicle electronics, is spark-free, reverse polarity protected and short circuit proof. The MXS 5.0 features a 5-year warranty.

TECHNICAL DATA CHARGING VOLTAGE 14.4/14.7/15.8V CHARGING CURRENT Max 5A TYPE OF CHARGER 8 step, fully automatic charging cycle TYPE OF BATTERY 12V lead-acid batteries BATTERY CAPACITY 1.2–110Ah, up to 160Ah for maintenance INSULATION IP65 (splash and dust proof) TEMPERATURE COMP. Built In

That’s great guys, appreciate informative and speedy responses, going to order one today.

Just realised my battery (see pic on original post) is marked EFB+, so not an AGM battery?

Does this mean I’d NOT select the AGM mode on the CTEK charger?

If you were to buy and connect one of CTEK's 'comfort' indicator connection leads to the battery, and have it poking out through the front grille, you can get a visual indication that the battery is getting low (amber light lit) and an easily accessible point to connect the charger up to without needing to even go into the van.

Hi Guys, been reading up on best way to trickle charge my main battery. I’ve got a late 2019 T6 150 manual, used purely as a day van, it has no extra accessories, no leisure battery etc. Whilst used only for long trips in the main, the van (especially this time of year) can sit offsite (caravan storage park) for up to 6 weeks.

I went to check battery yesterday morning (van had been sitting for 4 weeks in the cold) and multimeter reported 11.9V (know it’s not good to fall under 12V!). Van starts fine and no warnings etc. I drove 60 miles yesterday, have just checked battery this morning and it shows a healthier 12.2V.

So time for a battery tender I think, and have read most posts on here inc DellMassive’s brilliant write-ups, but it‘s still a minefield being honest!

See attached for my battery (factory Varta 70Ah 420A DIN 700A), and also attached pic of what I plan to buy (CTEK MXS 5.0 with extension cable and also cigarette lighter connector). I plan to run CTEK extension cable out through garage and into van via tailgate then attach to 12V socket in van.

Will this work as follows:

1. Does CTEK Support AGM Stop/Start Battery?
2. Is lower dash 12V socket in van permanent live?
3. CTEK cigarette lighter cable is limited to 7A, with CTEK pushing out 5A so this should well be within 10A limit of 12V van socket.

Thanks

Mark.

View attachment 143029

View attachment 143030

View attachment 143031
I have used the same set up for 3 years....perfect and convenient.

Back