Lowering a T28 vs T32

gonzoromirez

I'm thinking getting some 20" wheels for my T28, they come with 275/40 tyres. I want to lower 40mm with springs.
A pal of mine has just done exactly the same with his T32 and it looks and rides fine.
My question is will the look and feel be totally different with mine being a T28?
What are the actual differences between the 2 load ratings?
Thanks

I have a T28 which is running 20” tyres and initially had h&r 50mm lowering springs, van sat nice without any issues. I then purchased the stance street + coilover set.

021147CF-B3A7-49DF-8B6C-A52A47319C14.jpeg

I'm thinking getting some 20" wheels for my T28, they come with 275/40 tyres. I want to lower 40mm with springs.
A pal of mine has just done exactly the same with his T32 and it looks and rides fine.
My question is will the look and feel be totally different with mine being a T28?
Thanks
Hi ..The payload is almost 400 kg difference in payload....T32 has a thicker anti roll bar and heavier springs But the best guys to speak too are @CRS Performance or @BognorMotors :)

At least with a T28 the world is you oyster when it comes to choosing load rated wheels compared to a T32

Thanks for that. I was concerned 35's would rattle a few extra fillings out. So maybe 265/40 is the way to go. Do you know if they would fit on staggered 8.5J and 10J alloys?

Thanks for that. I was concerned 35's would rattle a few extra fillings out. So maybe 265/40 is the way to go. Do you know if they would fit on staggered 8.5J and 10J alloys?
On a T28 you can fit 265/40 on your 10" wide rears, but you can run 235/45 on 8.5" wide fronts.

This gives you an almost identical tyre sidewall height, overall diameter and circumference front and back, but a 235 sits much nicer on the 8.5" wide rim than a 265 does. A 235 will sit on the 8.5" rim in a very similar way to the 265 on a 10" rim. Your front rims are approx 38mm narrower than your rears, so fitting a tyre 30mm narrower than the rear tyre looks much better. You'll easily find a 235/45 20 in a 100 load rating too, which is what you need for T28.

I don't like fitting the same tyres front and back on staggered rims, the tyres always look different. I have run 265/40 all round on my staggered rims, but swapped to narrower fronts once they wore out and they now look much more consistent front to back.

On a T28 you can fit 265/40 on your 10" wide rears, but you can run 235/45 on 8.5" wide fronts.

This gives you an almost identical tyre sidewall height, overall diameter and circumference front and back, but a 235 sits much nicer on the 8.5" wide rim than a 265 does. A 235 will sit on the 8.5" rim in a very similar way to the 265 on a 10" rim. Your front rims are approx 38mm narrower than your rears, so fitting a tyre 30mm narrower than the rear tyre looks much better. You'll easily find a 235/45 20 in a 100 load rating too, which is what you need for T28.

I don't like fitting the same tyres front and back on staggered rims, the tyres always look different. I have run 265/40 all round on my staggered rims, but swapped to narrower fronts once they wore out and they now look much more consistent front to back.
So is this your tyre set up then @ChrisR.... 265/40 rears and 235/45 fronts?

Thanks
I have a T28 with the exact setup you are talking about and thinking of @gonzoromirez.... lowered on 40mm H&R springs, 20 inch wheels and 275/40 tyres.
I know what Oli @BognorMotors is saying.... 275/35 is the correct tyre size for not upsetting your speedo (as far as I know).... and @ChrisR with the staggered wheels your rear always looks more ‘stretched’ than your front if running the same size tyre all round. For this reason getting a smaller front tyre is definitely something I’ll consider when I need to replace mine, but for now it does ride well with the extra rubber and I quite like the ‘chunky’ look of the bigger tyre!
So to answer your original question, I’m sure you’ll find your van looks and rides fine with this setup! :thumbsup:

I have a T28 with the exact setup you are talking about and thinking of @gonzoromirez.... lowered on 40mm H&R springs, 20 inch wheels and 275/40 tyres.
I know what Oli @BognorMotors is saying.... 275/35 is the correct tyre size for not upsetting your speedo (as far as I know).... and @ChrisR with the staggered wheels your rear always looks more ‘stretched’ than your front if running the same size tyre all round. For this reason getting a smaller front tyre is definitely something I’ll consider when I need to replace mine, but for now it does ride well with the extra rubber and I quite like the ‘chunky’ look of the bigger tyre!
So to answer your original question, I’m sure you’ll find your van looks and rides fine with this setup! :thumbsup:
Something I forgot to mention @gonzoromirez....to add to my setup I’ve recently purchased some H&R anti roll bars from @BognorMotors and these make a big difference, so I’d definitely recommend these to add to your package!

Thanks for the reply, that is reassuring. Tempting to go for the different tyre set up but at least there's also nothing to worry about by getting the 275 front and back.

Something I forgot to mention @gonzoromirez....to add to my setup I’ve recently purchased some H&R anti roll bars from @BognorMotors and these make a big difference, so I’d definitely recommend these to add to your package!
Hi, I'm getting the same roll bars fitted to my van. What difference did they make to your van? Interested I'm already running h&r springs and koni shocks.

Hi, I'm getting the same roll bars fitted to my van. What difference did they make to your van? Interested I'm already running h&r springs and koni shocks.
@J8mes You’ll feel the difference straight away.... I did! They just tighten everything up and make your van feel better ‘planted’ and solid! It’s a difficult one to try and explain, but like I say, you’ll know when you’ve had them fitted! :thumbsup:
What difference do the Koni shocks make.... I’m currently on the stock shocks?

@J8mes You’ll feel the difference straight away.... I did! They just tighten everything up and make your van feel better ‘planted’ and solid! It’s a difficult one to try and explain, but like I say, you’ll know when you’ve had them fitted! :thumbsup:
What difference do the Koni shocks make.... I’m currently on the stock shocks?
Koni shocks and H&R springs are amazing. Compliant ride, very smooth and comfortable. Corners much flatter. Drives more car like. Money well spent. I did want the ARB'S fitted at the same time but budget didn't allow. Suspension fitted by @CRSPerformance highly recommended very knowledgeable chap.

Koni shocks and H&R springs are amazing. Compliant ride, very smooth and comfortable. Corners much flatter. Drives more car like. Money well spent. I did want the ARB'S fitted at the same time but budget didn't allow. Suspension fitted by @CRSPerformance highly recommended very knowledgeable chap.
Thanks for that @J8mes.... definitely looking to Steve @CRS Performance for this. Cheers! :thumbsup:

Back