Lot's Of Research, Lot's Of Confusion Over Spec's Etc, Any Help?

Groot

Hello everyone

I have been looking for a T6 kombi for some time and are starting to wonder if I'm missing something that I haven't found one by now, I've been looking for at least 9 months now!

I wondered if I'm confused about the spec's and therefore looking for something which doesn't exist in my price range! Budget is £17-18k maximum including vat.

Could anyone please clarify the following:

2015 - 2017 year. I believe that 2015's can still be T5's or T5.1's? I am looking for a T6, I thought that T6's were manufactured in 2015 but I don't think I've seen any T6's in that year.

Are all T6 panel transporters fitted with barn doors? Was considering now looking for PV and fitting windows but haven't seen any with a tailgate.

VW salesperson actually told me all kombi's have tailgates fitted as standard, but I have seen ones with barn doors, are these fitted after purchase or an option at purchase when purchasing new?

VW salesperson informed that only the T32's have 140 bhp? I don't think so, right? I've seen T30's with 140 bhp or have these been mapped?

Is there a way to tell if the van is a genuine factory kombi and not a converted PV?

What are the real life differences in fuel consumption of the T32 & T30?

I have test driven both a T28 and T32, as the van will be an everyday vehicle as well as a camper, the T32 was the preference for more power, I'm not sure I could cope dragging around the T28 everyday as that was how it felt to me, like I was dragging something around, so I figured the T30 may be the compromise on consumption and power? Anything I need to consider more between the T30 and T32?

Thank you all

T28, T30 and T32 are the carrying capacity. T28 is 2800kg T30 is 3000kg. I don't think this will have any bearing on the fuel consumption.

There may be some very early T6 in 2015.

Tailgates can be specified at build on a PV, as most PV's are work horses they tend to be spec'd with barn doors. Kombi's do have tailgates as standard but it might possible to spec barn doors when ordering.

It will say Kombi on the V5 if its genuine but it is entirely possible to convert a PV to be exactly as a factory Kombi but I don't think you can change the description on the V5.

Here's a link to the Transporter Brochure from 2015 (MY2016) https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/87efa795/files/uploaded/Transporter_Brochure_MY2016_09.2015.pdf

You can see on here all the options that were available

T28, T30 and T32 are the carrying capacity. T28 is 2800kg T30 is 3000kg. I don't think this will have any bearing on the fuel consumption.

Tailgates can be specified at build on a PV, as most PV's are work horses they tend to be spec'd with barn doors. Kombi's do have tailgates as standard but it might possible to spec barn doors when ordering.

It will say Kombi on the V5 if its genuine but it is entirely possible to convert a PV to be exactly as a factory Kombi but I don't think you can change the description on the V5.

Thanks Deaky, I will take a look at that, I'm sure there will be more questions following!

Am I being realistic with my budget for something also under 70k miles?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 140 t32 kombi short wheel base Highline and the lease comes to the end in June ( 4 years old) 50000 miles.
At the moment it is valued at about £18000 inc vat trade so you could fined one if you are lucky. I am looking at leasing a suv next and if a deal comes along I will sell mine for trade price so will ask on here first .
The problem you have is the price new has gone up so much people are hanging on or they can sell for well over trade price. I work with people that would love to buy mine but when they realise the value of it just cannot afford it.
Have you had a look at the dealer as they are pestering me all the time to buy a new one so must be looking to do deals at the moment if they have a used one make them a offer.

Thanks Keeff, yes, I did, but they said I'd be struggling for that money! What kind of lease is on your van?

However, one did come up at a dealership in January but as soon as I started asking questions about it's history etc 15 minutes later they told me they had taken a deposit for it.

That one was 13550 + vat T30 140 66, white, can't remember the trim was either highline or trendline,

Latest was a lovely example T30 140 highline 2016 until I found out it hadn't been serviced for two years and due it's cambelt change (they did agree to do that so that wasn't a problem) but I was concerned the owner hadn't even bothered to get an oil change in 2 years and it was a work van, they were asking 17995 for that. It had also been out of m.o.t. for 7 weeks and advertising it that long so something wasn't right about it, but I had not seen it in reality.

There are one or two around just now but the interior around the dash is wrecked and these are just 2 or 3 years old.

Mine is a lease purchase so has to be sold at the end and outstanding money paid off. In june it will be four years old and have to pay 13500 inc vat back. If i get more for it they will refund the difference but I am the only person that cannot buy it but a friend can if you see what i mean.I only pay 330 a month but to upgrade to a new one now is about 480 as the new price has gone up so much. If you are not VAT registered then a lease can work out ok as you only pay vat on the payments as you go and not on the total cost it will then be sold to the new owner buy the lease company and they will charge the out standing vat to them.
Keep us up to date how you get on and like i said if mine goes i will ask on here first.

Another clue as to whether the van is a genuine factory Kombi or not is the rear tailgate wiper. It is very rare for converters to put a wiper on a tailgate when they convert, they just put a window in. Same goes for barn doors. You can spec a Kombi with barn doors, if you do it comes with wipers. Converted ones are unlikely to. You can also spec a Kombi with no rear window(s) so this isn’t foolproof.

Another clue as to whether the van is a genuine factory Kombi or not is the rear tailgate wiper. It is very rare for converters to put a wiper on a tailgate when they convert, they just put a window in. Same goes for barn doors. You can spec a Kombi with barn doors, if you do it comes with wipers. Converted ones are unlikely to. You can also spec a Kombi with no rear window(s) so this isn’t foolproof.
I converted a PV with factory rear window and wiper so if it has got one it could still be a converted PV but I guess if it hasn’t then it’s definitely one.

Thanks, Keeff, will do
Hi Keeff, well a year on and I'm still trying to get a van! I can't believe every time I make an enquiry I either get a 'sold' or 'just taken a deposit for it! and the prices the now are even more ridiculous than this time last year too, I'm seeing some really stupid asking prices.

In the meantime, does roof height have any impact on mpg?

Also, what do people get roughly in mpg for T30 150ps? I possibly have opportunity for that but have read such conflicting reports on mpg and apparently the 102's in the T6 range are meant to be the best engines in the range apparently.

Thanks
Groot

150DSG T30..I get about 32/34 mpg shorts trips & 36/38mpg on a decent run....checked using the brim to brim method and the van is always only lightly loaded.

Back