Lost DAB stations [Resolved]

Marty63

Hi All, I've lost all of my DAB radio stations on my standard head unit on my T6. When i rescan it doesnt find any stations. Any ideas why?
I had a solar panel fitted over a year ago and Im pretty sure the DAB radio was still working after the fit, although Im not 100% as the van has been parked up during Covid lockdown.
Took it to a garage and they are on about replacing the aerial in the mirror but my thinking is surely an aerial doesnt just fail as theres no moving parts??
Any advice or previous experience much appreciated.

Hi All, I've lost all of my DAB radio stations on my standard head unit on my T6. When i rescan it doesnt find any stations. Any ideas why?
I had a solar panel fitted over a year ago and Im pretty sure the DAB radio was still working after the fit, although Im not 100% as the van has been parked up during Covid lockdown.
Took it to a garage and they are on about replacing the aerial in the mirror but my thinking is surely an aerial doesnt just fail as theres no moving parts??
Is it a DSG? If so it could be this.
Do you have any LED bulbs installed? If so it could be interference.
Are you using any devices plugged in to the cigarette lighter socket? Again they can cause interference.
Has your mirror taken a knock? If so it could be that the antennae is damaged.
Have you / another ever taken your headunit out / replaced it with an aftermarket unit? If so, the plug may not be home properly.
See if it’s any of these before going back to VW.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Is it a DSG? If so it could be this.
Do you have any LED bulbs installed? If so it could be interference.
Are you using any devices plugged in to the cigarette lighter socket? Again they can cause interference.
Has your mirror taken a knock? If so it could be damaged.
Have you / another ever taken your headunit out / replaced it with an aftermarket unit? If so, the plug may not be home properly.
See if it’s any of these before going back to VW.

Oh and welcome to the forum.
Hi, Many thanks for the welcome to the forum and thanks for your response.
Yes, I have LED bulbs but last night tried the radio with lights off and it was still the same?
Nothing in the cigarette lighter, no damage to mirror, no change to headunit, garage removed headunit to check aerial at the back but all seemed ok. So Im stumped as to what it could be.

Hi, Many thanks for the welcome to the forum and thanks for your response.
Yes, I have LED bulbs but last night tried the radio with lights off and it was still the same?
Nothing in the cigarette lighter, no damage to mirror, no change to headunit, garage removed headunit to check aerial at the back but all seemed ok. So Im stumped as to what it could be.
I wonder if bulb monitoring might affect the DAB signal still - there are threads on here which may help clarify. I don’t run LEDs so wouldn’t be 100% sure.

If it’s not the LED bulbs and the headunit software is current then your next point could be to try an aftermarket aerial, such as a shark-fin or windscreen antennae.

Hi. Just a thought, I think a lot of the DAB signals in the North East come from the Bilsdale transmitter that was on fire last week and is still not up and running. Might be woth checking out.

Hi. Just a thought, I think a lot of the DAB signals in the North East come from the Bilsdale transmitter that was on fire last week and is still not up and running. Might be woth checking out.
Hi, Don’t think it’s the transmitter fire as DAB in my Berlingo works fine. Thanks anyway

Hi Marty63, I had an Alpine T6 sat nav and DAB radio fitted and lost almost all of the stations. The guys that fitted it told me that I probably needed a shark fin to get the stations. But it didn't make sense because I used to get them on the previous VW/Kenwood system with the same aerial set up.

Then... d'oh...

I was going through the menu on the unit for something else and I came across an option "DAB aerial power:OFF"

When I changed it to "DAB aerial power:ON" all of the national stations popped up and I have had no issues since.
I don't know if this helps at all - it may be specific to the Alpine - but it is worth checking through the radio settings on the menu.

I certainly don't need a shark fin now.

Back