Looking To Buy A T6 In Scotland

Stuartb

Hi Folks.

I am planning on making the giant leap from owning a Mazda Bongo to a T6. The primary reasons for upgrading are for reliability and space. I have been looking at a local dealer who does conversions (Calder Campers located near Edinburgh - Any comments on them welcomed!)

The benefits of these vans are pretty obvious - so much more space! However there are a couple of things about these particular conversions that I have questions about and wonder if any of you have comments.

- There is a heater from the propane tank. Would it be worth upgrading to a Webasto system? Bear in mind I live in Scotland and would like to extend my use of this van into the winter.

- There are no opening windows to the rear of the driver. If the roof is up then you could get ventilation through that but what if the roof is not up? Do you think that the lack of openable windows in the rear living area would be an issue if its is really hot? (not in here in Scotland obviously, but if I took it to the continent)

So far I have just looked at Calder Campers. They have a 3 year warrantee on the motor and the conversion which inspires confidence in them. But are there any other dealers that I should look at in Scotland that would be good?

Any help/ideas/suggestions gratefully received!

Unless you have an underslung LPG tank, the gas heater could get expensive. I’ve got a diesel heater and find it really economical. It uses around 200ml of diesel in an hour at 2kw.

I’d recommend a sliding window in the back. I’ve got one by the cooker. It’s helpful if stealth camping and you need ventilation without putting up the roof.

Also, I would recommend wind deflectors. You can crack open the front windows 2cm or so without rain getting in.

I use mine on winter nights up north and can vouch for the Webasto heater - warms the whole vehicle up in no time at all. I’ve got a ThermoCall installed which allows me to turn the heater on/off remotely by text, as long as I have a mobile signal.

Look at Jerba campervans - not too far from Edinburgh.

I think the lack of opening windows in the rear would be an issue yes, I’d include this in your conversion.

I'd recommend the Webasto heater with a Thermocall. I use it most winter mornings to pre heat the van before I get into it. (I live in Fife).

I dont have opening windows in the rear but do have twin sliding doors that can be opened when stationary and aircon in the rear for when were on the move. A few posts on here concerning the sliding windows leaking so maybe more hassle than they're worth perhaps. Tints and blinds help control the greenhouse effect though.

If it’s so hot that you think that you need ventilation in the back of the van when stationary, then you tend to be outside enjoying the sunshine (in our experience in Europe).

Pete

Many thanks for all your comments. We have a dog, so dogs in hot cars is an issue . The bongo can stay surprisingly cool with the rear windows ajar. But I take on comments about tinted windows and wind deflectors ( another bongo feature) and I'll look at Jerba.

Back