Lookers Van Centre Carlisle

LakesT6

Caravelle Exec 150 DSG
T6 Guru
I was doing a job today not too far from my local dealer, so I thought I’d pop in and have a look at the 6.1. A salesman eyeballed me from 200 yards in the car park, and hastened over. I asked him, “why are there no vans in the showroom?” He replied “we are no longer a van franchise, just cars now, is it a van that you’re looking for?” I said, “I was mate, until you told me you don’t sell them anymore” :eek:

They have some used van stock to shift but I’d say when they’re gone, that’s it.

This post might save someone a trip because there has been no change to the website etc. Nearest dealer now 2.5 hours away.

I used the Guildford one for many years until last year when they would not give me £500 more for my PX to make it the same as webuyanycar price which was still low. Ended up going to Breeze and I will now never go back to Lookers. A shame as I was a customer for about 3-4 of my vw vans with them.

I used the Guildford one for many years until last year when they would not give me £500 more for my PX to make it the same as webuyanycar price which was still low. Ended up going to Breeze and I will now never go back to Lookers. A shame as I was a customer for about 3-4 of my vw vans with them.

Tried to buy a new California from the Guildford site, they were useless, did not know about offers on their website and never returned phonecalls.

Went to see a converter locally to me and bought a second hand newly converted T6, have no regrets with my decision.

I can totally relate to you on that one. Shocking service from sales.

My wife called their site in the North East to see if they had more of an idea re offers.........they were even worse!

A few weekss later the sales manager called me to apologise as he had reviewed the call and was appalled.

Thanked him for his call and told him I had gone elsewhere.

I went to Carslile when I was looking, 200 mile round trip. Perfect van, good price. Test drove it and went back to do the deal. After 2 hours of being there the salesman then said he had a small problem, they had already sold the van.

I went to Carslile when I was looking, 200 mile round trip. Perfect van, good price. Test drove it and went back to do the deal. After 2 hours of being there the salesman then said he had a small problem, they had already sold the van.

That sucks!

Did they not offer an alternative van at the same cost out if goodwill?

@Bobby Turkalino they did but I wasn't really in the mood to be honest. I'd already checked the van tested and was happy. To be polite I went to look at the alternative. It was sat right at the back of the plot, covered in mud and you could see the drivers wing had been badly repainted from about 10m away. It all worked out in the end as I found the perfect van :)

Totally see where you are coming from, we were staggered at their apathy I thought that spending £55k on a vehicle was a big deal.

The guy dealing with us admitted that he had only just joined them and "was getting used to how they did things". No problem with that but the overall impression was not good. When I referred to the cost of the van he said "that's nothing we have on in stock for £82k"

Just like in your case I got the van I wanted for a lot less...very happy.

Last edited:
He wasn't a mid 50's guy was he? Nice bloke, a bit scatty, talked about being in the motor trade for over 20 years but knew very little about cars?

He wasn't a mid 50's guy was he? Nice bloke, a bit scatty, talked about being in the motor trade for over 20 years but knew very little about cars?
That's appalling service... I've had a few issues with them over the years but had a genuinely pleasant experience buying my van from David Hinde. The Van Sales staff have all been moved on now.

Bought my Kombi from them in November and the guy I dealt with was a complete cock
Where they still selling new vans at that point, or just used? The guy that came out and spoke to me would fit your above description.

They where still selling vans then and taking orders for 6.1,there was a weeks wait from original delivery date with all sorts of excuses,bearing in mind it was a second hand van that was on the forecourt and when he brought it through to penrith I made a remark about the service and was told “he could only piss with the cock he had”then asked for a 5star review.

They where still selling vans then and taking orders for 6.1,there was a weeks wait from original delivery date with all sorts of excuses,bearing in mind it was a second hand van that was on the forecourt and when he brought it through to penrith I made a remark about the service and was told “he could only piss with the cock he had”then asked for a 5star review.
Wow... perhaps it’s this sort of stellar service that lost them the van franchise. I’ve yet to find out whether it was a lookers or vwcv decision. Surely in a county as large as this there’s a need for a franchise selling new VW vans.

5 star cock??????

I live in Carlisle and when we were looking for our van we went and had a look there. They had 2 Kombis with 15,000 on the clock,both black, 30 grand plus the vat. We ended up going to Liverpool van centre and got our black kombi with 1500 on the clock and a way bigger spec than the 2 in Carlisle for 23 and a half grand plus the vat. Granted,the 2 in Carlisle were 204psi which we didnt really want and the one we got was a 150psi but 6 and a half grand plus vat difference with 10 times the mileage. The lad in Liverpool couldnt believe it when i told him and actually remarked that he didnt know how they kept the franchise. That was just over a year ago so he wasnt far wrong!

Back