Locking Wheel Bolt recommendation

Neilson

Precision Engineer
VIP Member
T6 Pro
So, travelled down to St Austell at the weekend which was the first proper run in the van. Got half way and pulled in to a garage for a drink. As my mate got out he heard a loud hissing sound, "I think you have a puncture mate" it was that loud we assumed it was split or something big.

Anyway "Don't worry mate I have a spare and a jack so no problem" I said. After getting the drink I got the spare, etc out but couldn't get the locking wheel bolt out! The key was fine, I'd used it on the other side a couple of weeks before but the previous owner had knackered the bolt and it just kept slipping. :(

Anyway 2 hours later the RAC man had tried but all he had was a longer tommy bar. Luckily it turned out to be a small hole on top which was why it was so loud. He managed to plug it and we were on our way.

No I'm left with a tyre and set of bolts to replace!!!

We got one of these in the van as a "just in case" plus a 12v electric air pump. - only £5 for the plug kit.

well worth it in that situation, but suppose the moral of the story is check your van over thoroughly before a long drive, including wheel bolts . . . .

9.JPG

Or like me, replace all the locking bolts with standard ones! Who steals alloys now anyway, spare wheels yes, main alloys though? Back in the day when they were rare on cars thefts were rife but now I don't think so.

Have you managed to get the locking bolt off yet? If not I'll send you a PM of how I've managed to remove one before......not posting it in the public domain for obvious reasons!

I also talked about it in another thread of these anti-theft bolts that in my opinion can create big problems ... I have raised them ....

I am shortly taking delivery of a new Highline with standard Claytons'. I want to order the spare wheel locking bolt from the forum shop but note that they come in either 53mm or 92mm versions.

Can anyone advise me which size I need to order.

I imagine the shorter will fit for you, shorter is designed for steel wheel spare tyre and longer for alloy spare
Saying that the long bolt covers all bases as it will fit any size wheel

Hi

Two of my standard locking wheel nuts have worn and I’ve had to have them removed. I want to buy some more but I can’t find what size I need?
I’ve heard that the Mcgard ones are good but they have a million different types! Can anybody tell me what size I should be looking for?
Cheers
Andy

28044SU is what you want but if you're destroying the OEM ones, you'll do the same to these. Perhaps go for a more basic locking wheel bolt but make sure it has the rotating collar.

28044SU is what you want but if you're destroying the OEM ones, you'll do the same to these. Perhaps go for a more basic locking wheel bolt but make sure it has the rotating collar.
thanks buddy, I can’t believe how difficult finding that info was!

I had the same problem. In the end I just put standard bolts in but bought a locking bolt for the spare wheel.

Wanted to take the wheels off today for a 'wheels off' winter prep of wheels and arches. Didn't get very far :(
Came to loosen the locking wheel bolts that came with the van (with Clayton 16" alloys) and the locking wheel bolt adapter just seemed to want to come back off as soon as any pressure was applied with the wrench as well as chewing up the wheel bolt. I didn't even get as far as applying much force. Any ideas?

Wanted to take the wheels off today for a 'wheels off' winter prep of wheels and arches. Didn't get very far :(
Came to loosen the locking wheel bolts that came with the van (with Clayton 16" alloys) and the locking wheel bolt adapter just seemed to want to come back off as soon as any pressure was applied with the wrench as well as chewing up the wheel bolt. I didn't even get as far as applying much force. Any ideas?
Not on my T6 but another vehicle, the only way to get them off (look on Youtube) is to find a socket just to tight to get over the locking bolt. Hammer it on as hard as you can then use a long bar to undo.
You will wreck the bolt, but as it won't come off anyway you will need to buy new ones anyway.

That's how they also do it at tyre fitters

Good luck :thumbsup:

Reactions: jdo
Strange one but I was recommended to try and release them after a long drive that built up some heat around the pads/hub area.
The heat could expand the hub enough around the nut to maybe aid the release ever so slightly.

the anti-theft bolts seem resistant, but they are not .... you have to try with a cross key and an extension to make more force .. be helped by someone, you push the key to the bolt and the other turns the key to give up bolt, when you go back, tighten the bolt to less than a kilogram, never with a pneumatic gun !!!
anyway I do not use the anti-theft bolts anymore ... try to think about having to do this work on the street when you have drilled .....

As @mmi suggests, a 1metre breaker bar; and try not to use an extension so you don’t get out of square, keep it pushed onto the bolt whilst you gently apply pressure to the bar.

Last edited:
Back