Lights come on when usb plugged in.

Toffermora

VIP Member
T6 Guru
So this is obviously my dodgy wiring but can someone tell where best to start with finding what I have done or how to diagnose it.

When I plug something in one of my usb slots the led lights come on! I can turn them off but they will randomly come on again! This only happens to one of the usb slots that I have wired in. Not the other one. This is all stuff running from my leisure battery. The wiring for both the usb and the lights run along next to each other.
The usb is located in the c pillar and runs up to the top then along and down the b pillar under the seats and to the leisure battery located at the rear wheel arch. Lights are located above passenger side then follow the same way down the b pillar.

I presume I have created a short somewhere but other than rewiring them is there anything else I could try?

How are your lights switched? Are they touch on/off?

Do they share a common earth point anywhere with the light circuit?

Yes they are touch on and off, was thinking of putting a switch in to cure it that way but then I like the fact of just reaching up in bed and putting one on.

Can't remember if they share the same earth but potentially.

My van has led lights that are touch control. When I fitted an aerial for my usb radio the wiring for both ran next to each other.
When I transmitted on the radio the led lights came on.
I had to separate the wiring, only a few inches and this cured my problem.
Try separating your led and usb wiring if possible and it might fix your problem.

Back