Leisure battery recommendations

thanksabunch

Evening,
After around 2.5 years our leisure battery is dying and now struggling to hold charge for more than a few hours once fridge is on etc

Current battery is the one in link below, it’s lasted around 2.5 yrs of abuse

Thinking just getting the same again unless anyone has any other suggestions?
Bearing in mind it’s located under drivers seat so space is limited (particularly the height)

Than n advance

I managed to get a 95ah Halfords HLB800 AGM under my driver’s seat. It was the same dimensions as the (supposedly) 110ah flooded battery that the converrters used. Seems to last better than the cheapo one from new.

Last edited:
I think if you ho agm you can lay them on there side. Loom on travelvolts website. I've got to buy a new one as ours has failed aswell
You can indeed, that's what i and many others have done. I have mine under my passenger seat. And as above, give the guys at Travelvolts a phone if you need any advice.

I just fitted the one Delmassive linked above. Gel, so can be laid on it's side, but no need under T6 driver's seat - fits nicely.

I have read that AGMs are ok on their side but IIRC the Halfords one says it can be tipped for short periods. Not sure why they say that?!

I have been looking at agm batteries. I want to try and maintain height of 240mm as I have a table which sits on top of it under the rock and roll bed.
So far I have come up with.
Varta 210ah £299
Xplorer 170ah £229
Power plus 140ah £230
Leoch £229. I cant remember the ah but it was around about 150ah.
Any thoughts or suggestions on above brands.

My 100aH leisure battery died last week and replaced it with a low height cheapie from Europarts at £98.65 with Sale60 discount applied.
The battery is listed as Lion 100aH low height and mine sits under the drivers seat which is stock VW with no aftermarket swivel.
Previous battery from converter only lasted 18 months so need to sort out B2B charger instead of current setup with relay.

Whichever battery you do buy if you keep it charged by a good smart charger and or solar and dont run it down below 50 per cent , it will last you heaps longer.

Mine on the T5 are seven years old and still OK but have solar and are always charged winter and summer.

They may be getting to the end of life but after seven years I'm not complaining.

They are Varta Silver Dynamic 74Ah normal wet lead acid, bought from MANBAT at Shrewsbury, they came with a four year warranty and cost me £72.00 each in 2014. They are low enough to fit below a Sportscraft seat swivel (the one with the big nut above the plate) Varta item number 574402075.

I lied above, they are six years old not seven.

There are lots more higher spec batteries available for campers at lots more cost but this type have always served me OK, I'm quite happy to change them after seven plus years and can live with not discharging them excessively.

I managed to get a 95ah Halfords HLB800 AGM under my driver’s seat. It was the same dimensions as the (supposedly) 110ah flooded battery that the converrters used. Seems to last better than the cheapo one from new.
How's that Halfords battery holding up 2 years on? (and how tight a squeeze was it?)

TIA

Terry

How's that Halfords battery holding up 2 years on? (and how tight a squeeze was it?)

TIA

Terry
It’s tight where the bottom flares out for the clamp (the corners are close). Fits fine though.

It’s holding up quite well, still holding a good charge.

If you haven’t got one fitted already, it’s worth using a good DC-DC charger to maintain the battery properly when using the van. I have a CTEK.

Thanks for that.

It turns out that we have a VSR rather than a DC/DC charger - which I now understand may have contributed to the leisure battery's demise (especially as its AGM)

We've had our T6 for 4 years without being aware of this!

The shopping list is getting longer

Cheers

T

Thanks for that.

It turns out that we have a VSR rather than a DC/DC charger - which I now understand may have contributed to the leisure battery's demise (especially as its AGM)

We've had our T6 for 4 years without being aware of this!

The shopping list is getting longer

Cheers

T
A relay killed my old battery. It wasn’t a VSR but a standard relay. It was constantly sending power backwards and forwards from whichever battery had the higher voltage. Changed to a DC-DC charger and then replaced the leisure battery.

Back