Upgraded Lithium leisure battery - update

NicolasH

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Thanks to the advice from various forum members including @Dellmassive and @roadtripper, over winter we updated our failing lead acid leisure batttery to a Fogstar LiFeP04 105ah battery with a Victron charger. Our original Yuasa battery only lasted 2.5 years despite not going below 50% soc.

This weekend is the first time we’ve got away in the van and I thought I’d share our experience.

We’ve got a typical campervan setup with a fridge, lighting, usb chargers and a diesel heater (which we used for an hour or so each night and once in the morning) and a 100w solar panel

Having looked at the Fogstar app we used 43% capacity over 2 days. We obviously didn’t need the EHU charger. As much as anything having an app to tell you how much remaining capacity is a game changer. It makes it so easy, as is the peace of mind knowing you can go for days without having to worry about running out of charge, and damaging the battery.

By the time we had driven the 80 miles home it was fully recharged.

If anyone is thinking about upgrading to a lithium leisure battery, go for it. You will not be disappointed.

IMG_4602.png

Glad you're loving your new lifepo4 to experience.

As for solar,

May I suggest that you upgrade your solar controller to a victron 75/15.

It has an app with full data logging.

To will be able to see what power you are getting from the sun, and how much you get over the day week. Etc.

It's an easy install. Just swap your existing for this one.

Two wires from the panel,

And two wires to the battery. Fused at the battery.

Screenshot_20240507_054624_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Here the app and my unit on the solar shed as an example..

Screenshot_20240507_055019.jpg

And the logging over time....

Screenshot_20240507_055313.jpg

Glad you're loving your new lifepo4 to experience.

As for solar,

May I suggest that you upgrade your solar controller to a victron 75/15.

It has an app with full data logging.

To will be able to see what power you are getting from the sun, and how much you get over the day week. Etc.

It's an easy install. Just swap your existing for this one.

Two wires from the panel,

And two wires to the battery. Fused at the battery.

View attachment 240312

Here the app and my unit on the solar shed as an example..

View attachment 240313

And the logging over time....

View attachment 240315
Thanks, I think that is a really good upgrade and definitely worth considering.

Thanks for the update @NicolasH it's always good to know how things turned out :thumbsup:

I'm not too surprised at 2.5 years for your Yuasa. Even well looked after leisure batteries work much harder than starter batteries.

Back