LED lights, Best buy EVER!!!!

Dannywilds

T6 Pro
Had my New 204 DSG delivered yesterday. OMG the LED lights on the front with high beam assist is so good I kept wanting to go for a drive last night. Anyone thinking of ordering them as an option, is a must IMO. They are so bright it made me wonder if they were bordering illegal!! I have never seen anything like them before. So if your umming and Arring just bite the bullet and get involved!

Haven't got them on mine but had a couple follow me in the dark and they do give off a sparkling blueish light .i pulled over and let one passed as we were on a dark country road . Thankfully I have a highline with anti dazzle rear mirror.
I would still have them on mine if I could because these h4 are useless sod the cars coming the other way .
I have HIDS on the wife's car they give off a lovely white light best I have driven with.

Had mine nearly a week and not driven in the dark yet, might have to go for a drive tonight see what the fuss is all about

Had mine nearly a week and not driven in the dark yet, might have to go for a drive tonight see what the fuss is all about
You will be impressed, imo better light spread and intensity than xenons, makes driving in the dark fun!

With led and xenon one is not better than the other in term of light output per say. That comes down to the projector design if they are projector headlights. Seat use led reflectors for example. Our t6 use led projectors. Different projectors give different results. Take the Honda s2000 hid projector, considered one of the best low beam projectors around.

I retrofitted infinity fx-r bi xenon projectors in my car and the light spread is way more even and uniform with no hotspots compared to the led in the van however the car is so low to the ground it's not as good as the higher riding van.
Where the leds in the van, the light is less evenly spread with some hotspots but the beam pattern is wider and taller and throws a longer distance.
Hid headlights loose some light intensity after 10hours of use and then are consistent for another 4-600 hours and then they loose more light output the older they get. Leds don't do this and use far less power but require much bigger heatsinks.

I think the led lights are worth every penny and even 4 months into ownership in still amazed. Plus they completely transform the look of the van. Much classier.

Totally impressed with mine. But then couldn't have settled for anything less having stepped out of an A6 with LED headlights.

The LED's along with minor mods and colour are what most people comment on when they see my van, all positive i add :)
We've got the LED's on the GTE, they're equally as good and one of the reasons for ordering them on the van, as was ACC.

We have cars with xenon's, but they dont come close to the LED's in the T6. An added benefit is that oncoming traffic seem to dip there headlights more promptly when approaching.

I have indeed, I was very impressed! Being from the wilds of Wales I can see this making quite a difference on those country lanes, I can see where the extra money went, the lights did a little dance on start up, and it lights up the road to the side when turning, thought it was a bit much just for some fancy bulbs, they do look rather good as well

I will say I was more impressed with the heated seats! Never had a car/van with them glad I added them, took the chill away much quicker than normal

My wife and I have equal say on cars/vans we buy and at the suggestion of LED lights, I was met with a very firm "no way" - she thinks they look chavvy and as you know, we go to enormous lengths to be as anti chav as we can.
I can see they work well - no doubt about that but the upgrade from H7 (we already have LED rear lights) to LED is much smaller for about the same money making them a bit of a rip off.
With regards to LEDs vs Xenons - We have xenons on the BMW and they are very good. The current version (M140i - ours is the M135i) has LEDs and many owners have reported them not being as good as the xenons. I think it's marginal but still interesting. So as Ratty says it's light design rather than just the type of light. I've used plenty of halogen lights (e.g. try a Landcruiser) that are fine too.
It is weird this whole poor H4 things - having driven all sorts from F355s (the inlaws old car) to Evos, to Transits to Micras, light output has never been an issue - only our Defender had genuinely dangerous lights on dipped beam. While I don't know which had H4s and which had H7s, H7s are not actually superior to H4s, just different. For some reason VW has made the H7 lights in the same shape as the LED lights but the H4s are totally different.

And finally, great light output is clearly very useful but there is a limit and some current LED lit cars are just way too bright; Mercedes are particularly bad with their lights just causing too much glare even when dipped. Not actually seen a T6 with LEDs approaching at night yet but I suspect they might just fall into that "too much" category. Our H7s aren't anything to shout about but they are perfectly fine for driving within the speed limits on the country lanes we have around here.

I do get a faint whiff of the Emperors new clothes though - hardly anything is said about the stuff I view as important - the new engines, the way the T6 handles, the fact it's the quickest van currently available, the incredibly useful and unique option of 4motion, etc, etc - it's all about whether your dashboard has a zillion gadgets, what inappropriate wheels and tyres to fit and what lights you have.

Last edited:
IMHO, the T6 night-time driving experience is directly impacted by the quality and quantity of light provide by the headlights.

Having driven a T6 Kombi with H4 headlamps and a T6 California with full LED headlights - both at night, on lit and unlit roads - I feel reasonably qualified to say that the H4's are particularly woeful and the LED headlights are superb. I don't think there is or can be any debate that in this instance the LEDs provide a far superior, although admittedly more costly, lighting solution that improves the driving experience at night

Had my New 204 DSG delivered yesterday. OMG the LED lights on the front with high beam assist is so good I kept wanting to go for a drive last night. Anyone thinking of ordering them as an option, is a must IMO. They are so bright it made me wonder if they were bordering illegal!! I have never seen anything like them before. So if your umming and Arring just bite the bullet and get involved!

I've got them on my T6 mate, standard add on when buying new. In the T5 everyone flashed me thinking I was on high beam then I would stick it on high beam and they would be lit up like a Close Encounter of the Third Kind.

Back