LED/HID bulb conversion now MOT failure.

widu13

Retired Bobby
T6 Guru
Hi All, there is new MOT guidance for motorcycle saying that bulb replacement is now an automatic failure (but not if the whole unit is replaced on an MC) and I see that it is the same with the car & pax vehs MOT manual at 4.1.4. Compliance with requirements, stating:

"Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp."

My question is, has bulb replacement always been an MOT failure, or is this a new thing. It's possible but very hard to spot a lighting bulb change and I can't help but think that no tester is going to be that interested?

Last edited:
The same statement is the guidance for Cars....

" Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp. "

Ooops! Does that apply to the DRL too?
(Edit) doesn't look like. Says only headlamp beams.

Hi All, there is new MOT guidance for motorcycle saying that bulb replacement is now an automatic failure (but not if the whole unit is replaced on an MC) and see that the car & pax vehs MOT manual at 4.1.4. Compliance with requirements, states:

"Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp."

My question is, has bulb replacement always been an MOT failure, or is this a new thing. It's possible but very hard to spot a lighting bulb change and I can't help but think that no tester is going to be that interested?
Every motor insurance policy I’ve read states that you are required to maintain the vehicle in a roadworthy condition, that means complying with the law. The MOT certificate is a reflection of the vehicle at the time of test, MOT testers are not allowed is dismantle the vehicle to make checks but they can fail it if the have reasonable suspicion that it contravenes the regulations.
Ask yourself why the regulations are there in the first place.

I have normal bulbs for dipped lights but LED bulbs for my DRLs and side lights.......so would that fail?

A bit annoying really given that hids and hid projectors were one of the most successful ways of getting decent light out of a non-factory-led T6!

Yup. H7 with decent bulbs is the best we get... Or wait for a new development in candles and fire!

Hi All, there is new MOT guidance for motorcycle saying that bulb replacement is now an automatic failure (but not if the whole unit is replaced on an MC) and I see that it is the same with the car & pax vehs MOT manual at 4.1.4. Compliance with requirements, stating:

I check them I’m a tester lol

Don’t forget that it’s not only mot you have to think about, also have to think if it’s worth the risk from the police and potentially crash investigation still deemed and unroadworthy modification

Don’t forget that it’s not only mot you have to think about, also have to think if it’s worth the risk from the police and potentially crash investigation still deemed and unroadworthy modification

There's actually no offence in statue regarding led lights. Nearest is con & use regs but a normal person would not consider it dangerous so the offence would not be complete.

Back