Leaving Your Vehicle

Spawney Dave

VIP Member
I have just had to cancel my insurance with Comfort (Aviva) because they have a clause that means if you leave the vehicle un attended for more than 48 hours its not covered, I was leaving at a Marina on the west coast of Scotland whilst I go sailing for a week, but they said unless it was in a secure compound with cctv it can't be done, no amount of assuring them that the people up there would keep an eye on it and that in 15 years they have never had an issue would get them to allow it so I had to cancel and move to a different provider. surely lots of camper owner have outdoor hobbies that have similar situations, I did say that I thought the van would be safer in the wilds of Scotland than the long stay car park at Gatwick :(

Mine specifically excludes loss or damage through deception. So in the scenario that a garage takes in in for work but prangs it whilst on a jolly and their insurance doesn't cover it, neither will mine! That's with A-Plan.

Last edited:
I have just had to cancel my insurance with Comfort (Aviva) because they have a clause that means if you leave the vehicle unattended for more than 48 hours its not covered, I was leaving at a Marina on the west coast of Scotland whilst I go sailing for a week, but they said unless it was in a secure compound with CCTV it can't be done, no amount of assuring them that the people up there would keep an eye on it and that in 15 years they have never had an issue would get them to allow it so I had to cancel and move to a different provider.
So if you are convinced, why not just leave it there and take the risk yourself? You could take extra steps to immobilise it.

Mine specifically excludes loss or damage through deception. So in the scenario that a garage takes in in for work but prangs it whilst on a jolly and their insurance doesn't cover it, neither will mine! That's with A-Plan.
:eek:

So if you are convinced, why not just leave it there and take the risk yourself? You could take extra steps to immobilise it.
bit of a strange reply Loz ? I was simply pointing out that this insurer will not cover you if you leave your vehicle for more than 48 hours, even if you leave it in the long stay car park at the airport it wont be covered unless you have got prior permission from them, and I am a bit puzzled how you know what security equipment I have or don't have on my van ? anyway the alternative insurer that I have gone with have no issues providing cover for my circumstances & even worked out cheaper

bit of a strange reply Loz ? I was simply pointing out that this insurer will not cover you if you leave your vehicle for more than 48 hours, even if you leave it in the long stay car park at the airport it wont be covered unless you have got prior permission from them, and I am a bit puzzled how you know what security equipment I have or don't have on my van ? anyway the alternative insurer that I have gone with have no issues providing cover for my circumstances & even worked out cheaper
You said you you tried to convince the insurer it was a safe location and therefore was no reason not to cover it?
So, why not take that risk yourself and just park it? That’s all.

You said you you tried to convince the insurer it was a safe location and therefore was no reason not to cover it?
So, why not take that risk yourself and just park it? That’s all.
are you just trying to wind me up ? why would I want to uninsured myself because the company want to take the premium but not provide a reasonable cover, I think you will find most vans are stolen off the owners driveway, often by someone whose broken into the house and stolen the keys, would it be reasonable in that situation for the insure to decline a claim because you had been away for the weekend. any way I was just some feedback for people like me who use their van to travel and take part in outdoor activates rather than just parking in a layby & cooking dinner. for the record I am now insured with Justkampers who provided a cheaper quote and no petty restrictions.

Not not winding you up mate, just trying to tease out more info. If you got better cover for less premium then great. It just amazes me what insurers will try to get away with.

I think it is getting more common now for companies to restrict cover for long periods when away from your designated home location as most accept you might go on holiday and leave it at your house but they try and wiggle out if you leave it at an airport. But in that situation I have my ghost and tracker, so I might risk it in the airport carpark rather than try to change or get additional cover.

So if you left the van on your drive and went on holiday for a few days you still wouldn't be covered as its left unattended? Best check out my policy.

Back