Leaking Kombi Windows? How-to guide to resolve.

When I discovered that both of mine were leaking I wedged 2 rolled up microfibres under each one.
Anyway, it’s been pishing down here all morning so I thought I’d better go out to the van and swap the sodden cloths over for some dry ones. Much to my surprise all 4 are bone dry, it seems that cleaning the rubbers and applying the Gummi Pflege may have done the trick.
I’m still not confident enough to remove the cloths just yet though.

CBC389AD-5C8F-49A2-A925-77B284934E74.jpeg
7DB8C40D-F2BC-4A61-8FBD-C3612584D39F.jpeg

When I discovered that both of mine were leaking I wedged 2 rolled up microfibres under each one.
Anyway, it’s been pishing down here all morning so I thought I’d better go out to the van and swap the sodden cloths over for some dry ones. Much to my surprise all 4 are bone dry, it seems that cleaning the rubbers and applying the Gummi Pflege may have done the trick.

View attachment 86994
View attachment 86995

VW have caught on to the microfibre cloth idea and now offer colour coded cloths as an option when purchasing a 6.1

View attachment 86994
View attachment 86995

i wouldn't be either. there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when they decide to leak...
we've pretty much decided to replace them with non sliders when we get the conversion done :rolleyes: :mad:

Thanks @DaveyB for the instructions and those that have contributed.

Just to add my 2 pence for info incase anyone finds it useful!
So my 2017 factory kombi suffered the Vw leaky windows on both sides to some degree. I took out the slider both sides and tried to unblock the drains with a cable tie, it wasnt having any of it. In the end i used an old radio removal key with the end sharpened. I came to the conclusion all the drains had been sealed with sealant when the window was first installed, no sign of any DIY mastic by the previous owner on the outside so can only assume thats the case. Took quite a lot of wiggling (and swearing) but all 4 holes cleared and draining well.

I also added a small bead of black roofing sealant on the inside where the black sliding plastic meets the glass, this ensures the water is directed to the drains and doesnt seep between the plastic and glass like others have reported.

I also found the drain on the innermost channel leaked when tested with a syringe. Taking off plastic trim on the underside of the window(pops off downwards with trim tool) shows this channel, drained through a small hole on nearest the front seats. A small grey plastic flap channels this hole to the outer main drains. On both windows this plastic tab was loose and the sealant around it clearly not up to the job of securing it in place hence a small leak. I superglued this back up, held with a clamp then sealed round the edge with black roof sealant. Put both windows back in and they have been leak free ever since, (touch wood) soaked the outside with a hose and nice a dry.
Saved myself 400ish quid of replacing them with aftermarket windows!! Hope this helps

I thought I'd cured mine, opened out drain holes, etc, pretty much as described above. It worked for a few weeks. Given that I don't open them, I've sealed them up. Problem solved.
Drastic I know, but it's worked for me.

My thoughts where could I possibly not take the handle out as it’s a pig to put back in?
Which handle? The butterfly one that opens the mechanism for the slider? I found the sliding the pin up so the bottom can pop out, then slide it the other way so the top comes out means you dont have to remove the pin from the handle and that little spring fly out!

Which handle? The butterfly one that opens the mechanism for the slider? I found the sliding the pin up so the bottom can pop out, then slide it the other way so the top comes out means you dont have to remove the pin from the handle and that little spring fly out!
That’s the badger, I broke my drivers side and it broke me fitting a new one

Both mine have now been leak free for months - the one I made a non-opener and silicon sealed...... and the other one I removed, cleaned, treated with that expensive stuff and re-installed. I can take the chance on the door, but can't risk water down the back of furniture and under the flooring. My Kombi rubber mat had litres of stale water in when removed, with rust starting on the floor.

Joined the club yesterday - daughter had opened and closed the window and Niagara Falls has nothing on the waterfall!

Do you maintain the window seals? Every now and again when i spot water on the rubber floor, i clean the seal and apply silicon grease to them. That works for a while, but then they just leak again.

I haven't done anything up till now as they had been behaving themselves - another job that I didn't want to tackle but have been expecting.

Back