1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaking door seals

Discussion in 'Vehicle Faults Warranty Repairs Issues & Problems' started by Pauly, 13 Jul 2016.

1. Pauly

Pauly Senior Member Admin Moderator VCDS User

Map
    When parked sideways on a lean during wet weather I get water puddling on steps, spoke to dealer and they said they've already had a few in with this problem and it's an easy fix to adjust door catch a couple mm to get a tighter fit.
    Can't help but think it's going to pull doors in so they are out of alignment with side of van, not going in for a few weeks so will have to wait and see ??

2. DaveBos

DaveBos Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    Hmm, had the same issue in the T5 after heavy rain. Just left it how it was, no rust there.

Pauly likes this.
  3. Caravellet6

Caravellet6 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    Blimey, you'd think they could seal a damn door!
    Notorious problem on T3 with rusty steps very common.

4. Pauly

Map
    I had it on my T5 as well but never really bothered me as it was occasional but now I have moved house the T6 is parked on a slope daily so its an issue

5. carlg

carlg 204 DSG Highline Kombi MY17 VIP Member T6 Guru

@Pauly ,this used to happen on my T5.1
    Only when parked with two wheels on kerb .check it's not coming out of the bottom of the door card .water got in and ran down the cables and ran over speaker ,the filled step up .vw sorted it but it happened again ,I got a new window rubber and put silicon around all cables that came through the tin plate .

Pauly likes this.
  6. Pauly

Map
    Good shout @carlg , that kinda makes sense as when I open door to see puddle there is no sign of water entry and no visible wet path to the puddle, I have ran my fingers around the door seal (front/back/in grooves etc) and its all dry, I have been trying to figure where exactly its getting in but couldn't so you may have hit the nail on the head

7. HHO

HHO Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    I had small puddles on front foot steps. Tightened up roof rail blanking plugs. No more puddles since. Lift up front mats and cab carpet/cab rubber and see if damp.

Pauly likes this.
  8. Tony

Tony New Member

Map
    I think I can beat all the above,
    on delivery of my T6, I took it on a 2000 km jaunt around Europe, within 5 days I had.....
    EM light flashing Amber ( dealer told me It was a known issue with one of the turbos!)
    Water dripping from the top of drivers door frame down onto my arm, all door seals pretty poor,work still ongoing with dealership
    Horrific wind noise inside cabin,making it almost impossible to make a phone call from the back seats.
    Very bad rumbling sound throughout the vehicle (fixed by dealership changing bearing in front of prop)
    It's our second VW but this one is testing my patience greatly.

Btw, does any one know where acoustic glass replacement windows could be sourced?
    Thanks,
    Tony

9. Scruffy

Scruffy Member T6 Pro

@TO Autoglass probably, as they will have to stock them if someone with a Caravelle needs a replacement. You could "chip " yours and ask nicely for the Caravelle acoustic replacements.

10. Tony

Tony New Member

Map
    Thanks Scruffy, I will give them a ring, I'm after the lot,not just the main screen as the wind noise is way too loud for the cost of the vehicle.

11. Caravellet6

Caravellet6 Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    The Caravelle is amazingly quiet, we have the acoustic package and it's way quieter than our Yeti.

12. Tony

Tony New Member

Map
    Thanks for the info but I spoke directly with the VW Special vehicle team today, quoted our chassis number and it seems that they supplied a pimped up Highline rather than the Business line we ordered! ( at twice the price of the Highline )
    It's got most stuff apart from what we really need for a mobile office,namely great soundproofing and acoustic Windows.
    Good old VW,always managing to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory :)
    Regards,
    Tony

13. Scruffy

Scruffy Member T6 Pro

I've got a "noise" coming from the drivers side of the engine bay. It's been into VW, and they heard it, but couldn't pin it down so couldn't go any further. They thought it could be "turbulence" in the airfilter box caused by the turbo, but who knows.

BigBarn likes this.
  14. TransporterTim

TransporterTim Member

Map
    mine went into the dealer for the drivers body door seal, as it was coming away from the body. they replaced this but yesterday I noticed I now have a water leak coming from that seal

15. TransporterTim

TransporterTim Member

Map
    Think I might of found the problem to my door leak.

IMG_2935.JPG IMG_2867.JPG

16. HHO

HHO Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
  17. TransporterTim

TransporterTim Member

Map
    It's like a spot weld on the inside of the door frame but it's much bigger than the other side and it's left an imprint in the door seal

18. surf-report

surf-report Senior Member VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    I noticed one on my van too, i'll see if the rubber is dented tomorrow.

19. TransporterTim

TransporterTim Member

Map
    The other door has one too but the drivers one is bigger and it's in the same place my water leak is coming in

surf-report likes this.
  20. TransporterTim

TransporterTim Member

Map
    Had another look today it's not a spot weld it's some kind of sealant from the factory as it's soft and squishy