Le Mans

Yes, making a full week of it, so we can see other parts of France.
It will be the first time for me in the van, and my wife is coming for the first time too.
We stay offsite at Spay.

Pete

Yes, making a full week of it, so we can see other parts of France.
It will be the first time for me in the van, and my wife is coming for the first time too.
We stay offsite at Spay.

Pete
Have a good one Pete!
Are you going to sticker up the van?

Have a good one Pete!
Are you going to sticker up the van?
Possibly. I have some left over from previous years, but there’s a bit more to cover in a T6 compared to an Audi TT !

Pete

Yes - after missing the last couple of years, I can't wait.
Down to Limoges first to visit a mate and then back up to Le Mans.
We stay off circuit at a lovely location, but within a short drive to the circuit.
Not going in the T6 though; Le Mans deserves something more nimble!

When I was much younger I drove to Southampton and cycled the rest to Le Mans with the tent etc on the bike.... (being hard up I saved on the ferry costs !!)

Did it 2 years running. Was undoubtedly the best way to see the race; any motor vehicle was gridlocked and it is too far round for pedestrians. We cycled all round the outside, stopping at all the corners and sights etc. then popped out at Mulsanne corner where there was a bar - had a few beers while watch the racing from the bar (all that has gone now...), then popped back in and carried on all te way round. Then we cycled all round the inside.
In the woods on the interior of the circuit we came upon no entry barriers for all the wooded tracks. So we chucked the bikes in a hedge and crept though the undergrowth towards the sound of the cars.... we eventually popped up right at the roadside of the Mulsanne straight (in between 2 gendarmes who didn't see us....). We sat there for half an hour taking photos of cars thundering past at 200 mph, the ground was shaking as they went past.

If I had one lasting memory it was the little old man selling toilet paper for the loos at the main entrance. This must have been "his pitch" because he was there both years. He had a huge pile of bog rolls behind him and would unravel a few sheets at a time round his hand, tear them off the roll and charge a franc to everyone who used the loo. Must have made a fortune. At the end of the race we took a photo of him... he leapt out of his chair grabbed a loo roll and unraveled it round his neck, held a string of paper up and posed for the photo next to his pile of loo rolls. Bloody hilarious..... :)

I fancy going again, but would definitely take the bike..... might not get up to so much mischief tho'

Totally up for that. I'm looking to try and get something booked as soon as 23 tickets are released. 100th anniversary, it's going to be busy! I stayed in Houx campsite which had numbered pitches, loads of hook up points, water points and shower/toilet block

Anyone there this year ?
We would probably be there if tickets hadn’t sold out so quickly.

Pete

Back