La France...

Stay Frosty

Electrician
T6 Legend
Actually La Poole currently but day one of being lost in France!
Started off yesterday by travelling down to the sister in law's in Bournemouth ready for an early start.
Glad we did as we hadn't even made it to Oxford from Northampton before the drivers side solar panel decided to let go after nearly two years of being stuck down.
Can recommend Toolstation, Botley :thumbsup: two tubes of CT1, a new mastic gun and gaffer tape means we're back in the game, sadly there are two cracks in the panel fibreglass so we may be down on output but last night at 9:00pm we were still banking 9A.
Reports to follow!:geek:

Actually La Poole currently but day one of being lost in France!
Started off yesterday by travelling down to the sister in law's in Bournemouth ready for an early start.
Glad we did as we hadn't even made it to Oxford from Northampton before the drivers side solar panel decided to let go after nearly two years of being stuck down.
Can recommend Toolstation, Botley :thumbsup: two tubes of CT1, a new mastic gun and gaffer tape means we're back in the game, sadly there are two cracks in the panel fibreglass so we may be down on output but last night at 9:00pm we were still banking 9A.
Reports to follow!:geek:
You should be fine even if just one of your 175 watt panels is working. Ours is just a 180 watt single (slightly delaminating) panel feeding the Roamer, it amazes me how much power it sucks up even with moody skies. A job to look forward to when you get back!

Just got back into Dover today . Weather was superb for us , stayed in two great campsites , one in Honfleur and one in Etretat (both Normandie) Loads going on connected with the D day celebrations. Have a great trip

We were at the chain ferry at about 09:00 this morning waiting for the Bar Fleur to sail past, I’d have waved if I’d known mate!

Have a great time, we are going over mid July for 2 weeks to one of the Centre Parcs and next year we’re planning to go further south.

Didn't send a piccie...
View attachment 245170
View attachment 245171
Hopefully France is going to be sunnier, if that's possible on such a lovely morning!
If you had taken a photo 5 seconds before this you’d see us sat in the queue, small world sometimes :D

Ironically Shane we had our plastic deck chairs up against the railings right at the top facing your way and making like we were seasoned travellers off on another adventure... in my case while still picking black pu adhesive out of my finger nails.
We've stress tested the stuff and the panels have survived 110kmph so far.
Regarding all the D Day gatherings and events it's very heart warming that there are so many things going on and that the French keep those dramatic events front and centre.
We're at Pontorson for a few days by Mt St-Michel and while it's sunny it's also a bit breezy like bloody chilly... another thing why does everybody else's barbeque food smell great even though you've just stuffed yourself? :thumbsup:

Bloody well rained but only for the happy half hour we spent wandering around Lidl, currently sunny here with a gentle 20mph onshore breeze wisping in from Scandinavia by the feel of it.
The panel that lifted and cracked is forked according to the numbers on the battery shunt but even that's not black and white as the battery is at 100% so it can't bung anymore electric in but first thing this morning with the battery at 86% full the shunt showed just over 10A going in from solar which would be about right for one panel.
I'll order in another 175 watt replacement panel and refit the original good panel as it's all a bit lumpy currently.

We're through the tunnel on Sunday but still haven't decided where to head for. It will really depend on the weather forecasts once we're out so it could be turn right, left or go straight on!

We are down in the South of France close to the Spanish Border. The forecast for the next 10 days is 20 to 26 degC with only a couple of light showers.

We are down in the South of France close to the Spanish Border. The forecast for the next 10 days is 20 to 26 degC with only a couple of light showers.
Looks like a right then!
Aldridge, very close to Staffordshire. 9 degrees, just put the central heating on again...
Not far off that down the road in Frampton on Severn - another reason to go to the continent if I ever needed another one.

I’m sure I remember there was an omelette place in MSM where they whisked the eggs in copper bowls in a rhythmical fashion ( lord knows why!) Is it still there, or was I just dreaming?

Reactions: CAB
We are travelling across on Sunday.
Arrive at Cherbourg so plan to visit here on our way down to Rennes :thumbsup:
As @Salty Spuds says, best viewed from afar (or get there as early as poss IMHO).
If your route takes you via are Rouen then make sure you have a Crit Air sticker.
If that was aimed at me, thanks but I'm already sorted. Indeed, I had one on a windscreen that got cracked last year but when that happened, I ordered new one which sat in an envelope for nearly 4 months waiting for Autoglass to get a replacement windscreen in!

Back