Kombi To Camper - 1st Time Conversion

Finally got my van back from repair centre so can restart conversion. Repair is a pretty good job, looks as-new to me.

Some people have asked for pictures of the Variotech / Hilo combo, see below:

MVIMG_20190526_092709.jpg

MVIMG_20190526_092747.jpg

IMG_20190526_092630.jpg

MVIMG_20190526_092822.jpg

Thats all the locking travel positions. You can see headroom, it's reasonable but not enormous.

MVIMG_20190526_092806.jpg

Finally got my van back from repair centre so can restart conversion. Repair is a pretty good job, looks as-new to me.

Some people have asked for pictures of the Variotech / Hilo combo, see below:

View attachment 44189

View attachment 44191

View attachment 44192

View attachment 44193

Thats all the locking travel positions. You can see headroom, it's reasonable but not enormous.

View attachment 44190
Good to hear you have it back and its all fixed!!

seat system/roof looks good. How much headroom do you have in it? (how tall are you? :) )

Cheers

CZ.

I'm 6'2" and I can sit in the back ok. Head hits occasionally if you move about so it definitely isnt ideal if youll have tall people sat there for long periods but for kids / shorter people its not a problem.

I think with a RIB situation would be much more extreme.

I'm 6'2" and I can sit in the back ok. Head hits occasionally if you move about so it definitely isnt ideal if youll have tall people sat there for long periods but for kids / shorter people its not a problem.

I think with a RIB situation would be much more extreme.
cheers, Think i will need to see one in person before i can make a decision... as i may have mentioned I have only seen one Hilo roof in person and i could not sit up straight on the back seats ( i am 5ft10)....

cheers, Think i will need to see one in person before i can make a decision... as i may have mentioned I have only seen one Hilo roof in person and i could not sit up straight on the back seats ( i am 5ft10)....
Really? What seats did it have? I’m 6’5” and don’t have a problem.

Thanks for the photos, much appreciated. Looks like the headroom is absolutely fine for a 6’ person so that’s no problem for me.
The multi position seat looks great and in my LWB there should be about 8’ of space behind for boards and sails when it is all the way forward.
Also like the lighting in your headlining, was that an extra when you ordered the HiLo or your own work?

Thanks for the photos, much appreciated. Looks like the headroom is absolutely fine for a 6’ person so that’s no problem for me.
The multi position seat looks great and in my LWB there should be about 8’ of space behind for boards and sails when it is all the way forward.
Also like the lighting in your headlining, was that an extra when you ordered the HiLo or your own work?

Headlining material I supplied to my fitters (xtremevan) and they just used it instead of the standard carpet for the boards. For the side and rear pelmets (where the lights are fixed) I copied deakys idea with a few tweaks.

Tweaks you say...... :whistle:
I mounted slightly different to you (more screws), used a different approach to housing the roof bolts (aluminium desk cable tidies + boards to close the gap between the pelmet and roof) and used a different profile board for the pelmet....

That's about it!

Why fix what ain't broken.

Hilo should do it as standard. It wouldn't complicated if you had jigs etc made up and looks SO much more professional.

How much room is in the rear when you have the seats all the way forward up to the back seats? Enough to get bikes in without taking wheels off?
Yes, my 26" full sus fits fine with the seat fully forward wheels on. I usually use it with seats in normal place and front off (fork clamped) tho.

Back