Kombi Single Seat In 3rd Row

T6 Guru
My kombi is down as a 6 seater on the log book, but has a captains passenger seat instead of a double bench.

I sourced a single seat with seatbelt and 4 floor brackets from t4t5parts on ebay and set about fitting it.

As much as I wanted to fit it over to one side, it was simply to easy to just fit it in the standard centre position in the third row. This utilises all the factory reinforcing points.

First of, drill up from the underside through the reinforcing holes.

20190426_145316.jpg 20190426_145327.jpg 20190426_145340.jpg

Next was to open out the holes from the top to 10mm.

20190426_145808.jpg

Then, after treating the bare metal with hammerite, bolt the 4 floor brackets down and cut the holes in the floor mat following the marks on the underside of the mat.

20190426_154151.jpg

Just popped the plastic trims over the floor brackets and job done.

No. All bolts can be fairly easily got to.
The only tricky ones are a few that fix at thesame point as the rear wishbone mounts, but quite do able with a uj socket attachment.

No. All bolts can be fairly easily got to.
The only tricky ones are a few that fix at thesame point as the rear wishbone mounts, but quite do able with a uj socket attachment.

Ok great, thanks again...

Sorry to dig out an old thread, I'm looking to do this to my factory Kombi but move my triple bench back, couple of queries.
Are the holes already marked out on the underneath of the van?
Did you need reinforcing plates at all?
cheers!

Cheers, that's the thread that gave me the inspiration to do it, think I have solved the queries on the holes, just wondering about the reinforcement plates?

These holes all come through in a place where there is a double skin e.g. part of the chassis rail or rear suspension mounting.

Based on the above, and the fact that the nut only just went fully onto the thread, and I was unlikely to carry passengers when in the further back position, I decided not to fit the reinforcement plates - with them fitted it meant another thickness of steel so the nut wasn't fully on the thread which I wasn't happy with.

You need to decide for yourself though :thumbsup:

These holes all come through in a place where there is a double skin e.g. part of the chassis rail or rear suspension mounting.

Based on the above, and the fact that the nut only just went fully onto the thread, and I was unlikely to carry passengers when in the further back position, I decided not to fit the reinforcement plates - with them fitted it meant another thickness of steel so the nut wasn't fully on the thread which I wasn't happy with.

You need to decide for yourself though :thumbsup:

Good info thanks, I guess I will have to make that decision at the time of fitting, I would agree regarding the nut, much more sensible to have that on securely.

My factory fitted third row seat doesnt have the extra strengthening brackets. As mentioned there are addition thicknesses of metal so I’m not sure they’d fit (or needed in fact).

Back