Key Jammers

DaveyB

Team White
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Fellow T6'ers, beware around car parks and service stations, there appears to be an increase in the use of key jammers.

Service station thieves 'using car key jammers' - BBC News

It appears as though these devices stop your key sending its signal to the van. Take a moment to double check if it has actually locked before you walk away. If it hasn't, may well be worth getting back in it and driving away.

And that's why I like folding mirrors on lock because it gives you a visual sign. Why they removed this from the T6 is a mystery.

And that's why I like folding mirrors on lock because it gives you a visual sign. Why they removed this from the T6 is a mystery.
Indeed, but then from a thread elsewhere on here it seems as though a couple of people have recently solved this (with T5 mirrors and a control box).

Indeed, but then from a thread elsewhere on here it seems as though a couple of people have recently solved this (with T5 mirrors and a control box).
As you say it can be done just needs a bit of a wiring mod, i am hoping when i get my interior done they have a guy who can do it for me.

Fellow T6'ers, beware around car parks and service stations, there appears to be an increase in the use of key jammers.

Service station thieves 'using car key jammers' - BBC News

It appears as though these devices stop your key sending its signal to the van. Take a moment to double check if it has actually locked before you walk away. If it hasn't, may well be worth getting back in it and driving away.
Thanks for the heads up! @DaveyB

Always "Blip twice" this rolls the code on twice and makes it harder for the little blighters, this Store and forward hack is not new but the hardware is now circulating..

Always "Blip twice" this rolls the code on twice and makes it harder for the little blighters, this Store and forward hack is not new but the hardware is now circulating..
I think its more basic than interception just an outright block leaving the vehicle unlocked

Yes @Pauly, that's how I read the article. It's not the storing of your code so that it can be "played back" to the vehicle, more of an outright electronic jam of the signal from your remote telling your vehicle to lock, so you walk away thinking it's locked, but it's not.

Beep on lock works a treat. Couple of times I've walked away then locked it to not hear the beep- only to find a door slightly ajar. Would of carried on walking without the beep.

Beep on lock works a treat. Couple of times I've walked away then locked it to not hear the beep- only to find a door slightly ajar. Would of carried on walking without the beep.
If I try and do that with my Defender it sounds the car's horn once - doesn't half make you jump! Simple but very effective.

Other than the clunk of the locks going down (and flash of the indicators) I get no audible indication that I have locked (or not) my T6??

I have also turned on acoustic lock (and unlock) via VCDS so gives a loudish chirp when locking and unlocking.
Also discovered yesterday that you can lock vehicle for example with the tailgate open and when the tailgate is shut normal lock routine will follow, i am finding this really handy when kids are being slow or you have your hands full you can lock the van put keys in pocket before closing the final door

I think its more basic than interception just an outright block leaving the vehicle unlocked
Haven't read the article yet, was on the plane coming back from Costa Rica when I replied earlier..

Yes, if its just basic jamming, they everyone in the carpark is going to get robbed but easy to detect if you simply cant lock the car..
However, jammers have to send a wide spectrum to everything so could easily be detected as well...

Dam that place is just down the road from me mind you ai can't eve remember going there. I rarely stop in service stations as they are just rip you off and I use them as little as possible for fuel.

Back