Keeping reversing camera clean

My Q5 has this, handy little thing it is.

What about ceramic coating the lens of the camera? It’s not fool proof but it will help moisture bead off it.

I use RainX

Am I the only one who instinctively gives the lens a wipe whenever I close the tailgate? (Luckily, I have kids who do this for me now!)

Always giving my lens a quick wipe

Double snap :thumbsup:

Ok, so I've started to look into the whole camera under the badge that comes out when in reverse. Turns out, there are also two models of the OEM badge camera, high and low. However, besides the whole cutting a hole in the tailgate part, there's a bit more to it.

First and foremost, the badge on a tailgate T6 is 13 cm in diameter. No badge with camera exists in that size, they're 11 cm. Those badge cameras also require some sort of construction within the tailgate (there's video tutorials on golf MK6 for example where it can clearly be seen). Two options could therefore be possible:
  1. Do the modifications to fit the 11 cm camera with its under-construction. Quite a bit of bodywork and not the same impact of the badge as the original.
  2. Try to adapt the mechanism for the badge opening to an original tailgate T6. That would take quite a lot of skill, patience and trial and error.
Both high and low cameras should be able to work on the T6. For the high camera, there's some rewiring and fitting an extra module needed (see Robert's thread here).

Part numbers of the cameras I've found:
  • Lowline: 5K0827469AS
  • Highline: 3AE827469A
Both are from a Passat/golf 6, because they're the most likely to fit. Beware: the golf 7 version of the camera is not quite flat, it won't look good on a flat tailgate.

A note to those with barn doors: you'd have to check your current logo size, I believe it might be smaller than the tailgate's 13 cm.

Anyone feeling like experimenting a bit? I have to admit that the bodywork is putting me off a bit, but I'd really like one of those pop-out cameras...

Back