Keeping reversing camera clean

Oldrat

Senior Crafter
T6 Legend
I’ve an OEM VW rear camera, clarity is significantly affected during crappy weather.

Has anyone added a mod such as a cowl etc to help keep the lens clean.

So how do you keep yours clean?
:thumbsup:

Hmmm... you could probably could not see anything either..... :slow rofl:

To be more precise, it’s a right PITA, reversing in a car park after a drive down the motorway with the lens now all covered in water and crap.

:thumbsup:

The A6 Avant has a tiny washer jet built into the camera which works when operating the rear wiper, could be worth looking into? Just uses a T off the washer pipe. Not looked into it so no idea if it uses the same size housing for mounting into the tailgate. It does clear off rain water, tried one yesterday while driving it in heavy rain.

The reversing camera is very prone for fogging up with spray and is a real pain. When travelling around on muddy roads through farming country, the lens can become completely opaque. As said above by Flyingspannner a washer jet would improve things. I have thought about having a rear view camera mounted on the inside of the rear screen, within the sweep of the wiper blade. Then the rear wipers would keep the view clear. I would mount the viewing screen on the dashboard in front of the instrument binnacle. I think that the position of the OEM screen in the Satnav/radio is poor.

The A6 Avant has a tiny washer jet built into the camera which works when operating the rear wiper, could be worth looking into? Just uses a T off the washer pipe. Not looked into it so no idea if it uses the same size housing for mounting into the tailgate. It does clear off rain water, tried one yesterday while driving it in heavy rain.

My Q5 has this, handy little thing it is.

What about ceramic coating the lens of the camera? It’s not fool proof but it will help moisture bead off it.

This is my BlackVue set up in mirror mode on an old iPhone. Black and white image as it is an IR camera mounted externally on the tailgate. It is on all the time as I have a solid bulkhead and tailgate. Works in real time with slight latency compared to the E-Tron wing mirrors.
The day this was taken, it was persistently raining so not too bad.

33527CD9-BBDF-43D7-A4CC-11EA28FC4142.png

BD529818-8903-4F5D-A256-DE5D3AAEBA76.jpeg

This is my BlackVue set up in mirror mode on an old iPhone. Black and white image as it is an IR camera mounted externally on the tailgate. It is on all the time as I have a solid bulkhead and tailgate. Works in real time with slight latency compared to the E-Tron wing mirrors.

View attachment 90196

View attachment 90197
Don’t you find it confusing with the image flipped rather than mirrored, or is that just the way the photo has posted?

No as it is exactly the same image you would see if you looked in your rear view mirror. Also it is a much clearer image than the factory camera. as it is hd but not in colour.

View attachment 90196

View attachment 90197

That is the sort of thing that I would like to achieve. Something to work alongside the mirrors. Only I do not wish to use a mobile phone but would like to use something that use a wireless technology. It helps keep the holes and wiring spaghetti wiring at a minimum. Your Mirror mode, is what I would like and IR illumination and the capability of having it on at all times.

What are the "E-Tron wing mirrors" ? They sound potential interesting. Flyingspanner I think that you have something close to what I would like. That is great.:)

The phone connects to the camera via Wi-fi or the cloud so if the phone is charged, no wires at all going to the phone.
The lowest latency is on direct Wi-fi. The old phone does not have a sim in it, it is purely used as a mirror monitor leaving my new phone free for other things, also has the benefit of being able to monitor the van remotely is an added bonus when it is parked up. Front camera is 4K, not a cheap setup. If you go for a similar set up DONT buy the single channel 900 and the waterproof rear camera to save money as it does NOT have the rear camera port!! You must get the 2 channel camera.
They have just released a flagship 900x so you may pick up a previously enjoyed 900s on eBay as people upgrade.

E-tron cameras are a very expensive option on the Audi, but theyhave to be seen to be believed.

No as it is exactly the same image you would see if you looked in your rear view mirror. Also it is a much clearer image than the factory camera. as it is hd but not in colour.
If you imagine a horizontal line across the bottom of the screen, a mirror will flip it around that axis. If you drew a vertical line down the centre of the screen then your image is flipped about that axis. In fact you can see in the photo that it shows you driving on the wrong side of the road when you're obviously not. Have a look at a speed limit on the road in a mirror and you'll see what I mean.

I have the same set up in my car and when I look in my rear view mirror, I see the same on the phone screen in the car so must be something to do with the photo. Unless my rear view mirror is playing tricks on my eyes?

I have the same set up in my car and when I look in my rear view mirror, I see the same on the phone screen in the car so must be something to do with the photo. Unless my rear view mirror is playing tricks on my eyes?
It could be that the photo has been flipped posting, but for example if it was in a normal mirror, the 4 and the 0 would be the other way round even if you were on the wrong side of the road.

Thank you for your kind response Flying spanner. I will note what you have said and look into it. I do think that it might be more complex than my needs however. I was not looking for recording facility. I do not even poses a camcorder and know absolutely nothing about them except that I see loads in Halford's and hear about them on forum. I was merly looking for a camera only with most of the viewing facility that you mention but only for extending my driving experience. I can see how useful the system might be for you and think that your system is excellent.

Regarding the rear view image and comments concerning accurate representation of image. No or very few mirrors give an undistorted 1:1 most give a diminished image of some degree or other. I would hardly expect any camera to match exactly either a rear vie mirror or a side view mirror so I am not quite sure what the detractors are on about.

Regarding the rear view image and comments concerning accurate representation of image. No or very few mirrors give an undistorted 1:1 most give a diminished image of some degree or other. I would hardly expect any camera to match exactly either a rear vie mirror or a side view mirror so I am not quite sure what the detractors are on about.
Do you mean me? I'm not a detractor, I have used permanent rear cameras myself in the past. If you read what I put, I was just pointing out the image was reversed, it's sort of my field ;)

Back