Rear VW badge reversing-camera

martynapps

VIP Member
Good morning, has anyone successfully installed a Golf/ Passat reversing camera replacing the standard badge on a T6? I appreciate the tailgate will have to drilled, just wondered if it’s been done before?

Good morning, has anyone successfully installed a Golf/ Passat reversing camera replacing the standard badge on a T6? I appreciate the tailgate will have to drilled, just wondered if it’s been done before?

The Grim Reaper has installed an aftermarket camera on his..
The rear badge is very brittle (at least the black backing part is) I fitted a rear camera into mine and needed to be very careful not to break off more than I needed whilst making the hole.

as has @DJ821
...view on the HU is coming tomorrow...
for now just the pictures of the back side of the badge

View attachment 218782 View attachment 218783
the camera is fixed with 2K-epoxy-glue - if it ever dies I'll have to buy a new badge :rolleyes:

and @andys
Well I went out armed with several ideas of how to troubleshoot the non-working camera, but it turned out all me and the van needed was a little time apart. The BCM must need the shutdown to take effect as it works fine this morning
View attachment 39081

I'm going to fit a switch into one of the blanks that will interrupt the reverse feed to the camera control box which will allow me to switch between front and rear cameras, and I have one of those little power delay relays to keep the camera alive for a few seconds after leaving reverse on its way, but I'd still like to find a one-touch solution to bring the camera up. I can do it by hitting the Parkassist button and then switching to the camera on the screen for now.

Other than that, the connection of line level converter to the JL Audio amp, which was wired in under the passenger seat a year ago, then back to the speakers went without hitch and the Rainbow speakers sound much better than when they were fed direct from the headunit. The levels needed 30 secs tweaking and that was it. It's only a cheap little unit, <£13, but the sound is much improved now.
View attachment 39082

Almost done then, but I haven't been able to put it all back in as I'm waiting for that video delay, the Fakra antenna connector and the adapter to use the existing glovebox USB socket which are all still on the way from China. Hopefully it'll all be here in time for me to have the first trip in it next weekend, but if not it won't be the end of the world as it's perfectly useable at the moment.

@Rianscott2000 has linked to a kind of guide here:
I fitted a birds-eye view camera (here's the process) and they are great. I can imagine this would cost a lot more to fit. it's not 1 wire you are feeding through the van, its 4!

I can't spot the camera, where is it? I can't seem to zoom the photo in on the desktop

I’ve seen a flip-out style camera on here somewhere and think it was a THQ or LV van, but can’t recall seeing anyone having fitted one.

Ok, so I've started to look into the whole camera under the badge that comes out when in reverse. Turns out, there are also two models of the OEM badge camera, high and low. However, besides the whole cutting a hole in the tailgate part, there's a bit more to it.

First and foremost, the badge on a tailgate T6 is 13 cm in diameter. No badge with camera exists in that size, they're 11 cm. Those badge cameras also require some sort of construction within the tailgate (there's video tutorials on golf MK6 for example where it can clearly be seen). Two options could therefore be possible:
  1. Do the modifications to fit the 11 cm camera with its under-construction. Quite a bit of bodywork and not the same impact of the badge as the original.
  2. Try to adapt the mechanism for the badge opening to an original tailgate T6. That would take quite a lot of skill, patience and trial and error.
Both high and low cameras should be able to work on the T6. For the high camera, there's some rewiring and fitting an extra module needed (see Robert's thread here).

Part numbers of the cameras I've found:
  • Lowline: 5K0827469AS
  • Highline: 3AE827469A
Both are from a Passat/golf 6, because they're the most likely to fit. Beware: the golf 7 version of the camera is not quite flat, it won't look good on a flat tailgate.

A note to those with barn doors: you'd have to check your current logo size, I believe it might be smaller than the tailgate's 13 cm.

Anyone feeling like experimenting a bit? I have to admit that the bodywork is putting me off a bit, but I'd really like one of those pop-out cameras...

Ok, so I've started to look into the whole camera under the badge that comes out when in reverse. Turns out, there are also two models of the OEM badge camera, high and low. However, besides the whole cutting a hole in the tailgate part, there's a bit more to it.

First and foremost, the badge on a tailgate T6 is 13 cm in diameter. No badge with camera exists in that size, they're 11 cm. Those badge cameras also require some sort of construction within the tailgate (there's video tutorials on golf MK6 for example where it can clearly be seen). Two options could therefore be possible:
  1. Do the modifications to fit the 11 cm camera with its under-construction. Quite a bit of bodywork and not the same impact of the badge as the original.
  2. Try to adapt the mechanism for the badge opening to an original tailgate T6. That would take quite a lot of skill, patience and trial and error.
Both high and low cameras should be able to work on the T6. For the high camera, there's some rewiring and fitting an extra module needed (see Robert's thread here).

Part numbers of the cameras I've found:
  • Lowline: 5K0827469AS
  • Highline: 3AE827469A
Both are from a Passat/golf 6, because they're the most likely to fit. Beware: the golf 7 version of the camera is not quite flat, it won't look good on a flat tailgate.

A note to those with barn doors: you'd have to check your current logo size, I believe it might be smaller than the tailgate's 13 cm.

Anyone feeling like experimenting a bit? I have to admit that the bodywork is putting me off a bit, but I'd really like one of those pop-out cameras...

Just to be clear: I've not fitted one yet, and I don't know if I'll get around to it to be honest.

Back