Ist Mot And Service

Neilson

Precision Engineer
VIP Member
T6 Pro
My camper is due it's first MOT in a couple of weeks. What are peoples thoughts on using a VW approved garage rather than VW themselves to carry it out?

I'm planning on keeping it for a few years but it will likely not do more than 2000 miles/year. It would be far easier (and cheaper I suspect) to use a local garage.

I'd just use the local. Thjere's no advantage having a VW garage do the MOT and there's no variation to the test, so it doesn't really matter which garage does it.

E2A
I'd still want the VW stamp in the service book mind, so that might dictate who does your servicing.

I’m in a very similar situation but figure the stamp in the book together with any software/recall upgrades required is worth any extra and it will certainly help when it comes to part exchange/sell.
If you have a unexpected failure in the future then sometimes VW history will get you a discount.
It’s certainly worth ringing for a price as they do sometimes have ‘deals’ on MOT/service combinations.

I'd just use the local. Thjere's no advantage having a VW garage do the MOT and there's no variation to the test, so it doesn't really matter which garage does it.

E2A
I'd still want the VW stamp in the service book mind, so that might dictate who does your servicing.
+1

The VW garage probably don’t carry out the actual MOT themselves - it probably gets undertaken at another location.

If you want to keep your FVWSH, an MOT elsewhere will make no difference.
The only time it will is when you fail the MOT and they deem that you need to rectify it at the station - unlikely, particularly if you sort your service out a few weeks before your MOT is due (that way you can tell VW you want it MOT ready so they can sort out any defects).

If you use VW remember you can book it in upto 1 month in advance and you are still under warranty if anything is discovered plus of you have an extended warranty and use someone else for service you have to use a genuine parts and a vat registered garage to maintain warranty

If you use VW remember you can book it in upto 1 month in advance and you are still under warranty if anything is discovered plus of you have an extended warranty and use someone else for service you have to use a genuine parts and a vat registered garage to maintain warranty

yea what he said.

I would locate the nearest VAG independent and have the MOT and service done there.

VW goodwill is a myth. They might knock a few quid off the parts, or give the parts free as long as you stump up 120 plus vat per hour for labour.

I have just acquired an Audi A8 with 'full Audi history' - all I can say is that Stevie Wonder is now working at Bolton Audi and has worked exclusively on my A8, judging by the state of it. You can tell what work has been done on it by the trail of damage and missing fasteners which are the hallmark of a technician racing against the clock.

You will never px your van at a VW dealer, because they offer insulting values no matter how good your van is. A private buyer will probably understand that a stamp every year from an indie is worth more than the 2 year oil change stamp from VW. Good, used Transporters are hard to come by and they are ridiculously easy to sell privately.

It is most liberating to break free from the VW dealer network; oil and filter change and inspection, using genuine VW parts is 100 quid at my trusted indie - and they have it done while I wait in a nearby coffee shop. MOT is about 40 quid on top and I get to speak to a seasoned master tech who knows me and my ramshackle fleet of VAG vehicles. In fact, I actually look forward to taking my cars and vans in because I know they are on my side.

By comparison, I have never wanted to punch someone in the face as much as the **** at the VW dealership who tried to convince me that my faulty deadlocks were a safety feature to ensure nobody could be locked in the van.

VW Telling lies? Oh no, they would never do that...

I would locate the nearest VAG independent and have the MOT and service done there.

VW goodwill is a myth. They might knock a few quid off the parts, or give the parts free as long as you stump up 120 plus vat per hour for labour.

I have just acquired an Audi A8 with 'full Audi history' - all I can say is that Stevie Wonder is now working at Bolton Audi and has worked exclusively on my A8, judging by the state of it. You can tell what work has been done on it by the trail of damage and missing fasteners which are the hallmark of a technician racing against the clock.

You will never px your van at a VW dealer, because they offer insulting values no matter how good your van is. A private buyer will probably understand that a stamp every year from an indie is worth more than the 2 year oil change stamp from VW. Good, used Transporters are hard to come by and they are ridiculously easy to sell privately.

It is most liberating to break free from the VW dealer network; oil and filter change and inspection, using genuine VW parts is 100 quid at my trusted indie - and they have it done while I wait in a nearby coffee shop. MOT is about 40 quid on top and I get to speak to a seasoned master tech who knows me and my ramshackle fleet of VAG vehicles. In fact, I actually look forward to taking my cars and vans in because I know they are on my side.

By comparison, I have never wanted to punch someone in the face as much as the **** at the VW dealership who tried to convince me that my faulty deadlocks were a safety feature to ensure nobody could be locked in the van.

VW Telling lies? Oh no, they would never do that...

Interesting, you must be quite near me.
A long while ago that Audi dealership replaced the mechanicals on the pop up spoiler on a TT that had stopped working. It was out of warranty by a month or so, but they did the work as a gesture of goodwill. Went to the same dealer a few years later with a different car, again a few moths out of warranty because one of the buttons on the MMI unit wasn't working and they wanted £3.5k for a new unit (no screen as it was separate).

Be interested to know which independent you recommend in the Bolton area.

Back