5 Year Factory warranty v the all in mot, breakdown, and 2 year service plan

Semisonic

VIP Member
T6 Pro
What's the difference 5 Year Factory warranty v the all in mot, breakdown, and 2 year service plan

I have a 5 year factory warranty from new does this cover more works to van than the extended warranty plan ?

Seems they don't cover a lot on the 2 year one and only want to cough up 50% of repairs costs ?

The factory extended is for years 4&5.... And covers oil seals and leaks.

The allin pack does not cover oil seals and leaks.

I view the all in warranty as a nice to have that's largely free if you're happy to run a VW Service Plan and Assist.

It's better than nothing but not equivalent to the full extended factory warranty.

The more I read about all in warranty the more it puts me off getting it.
I was ready to pull the trigger on it before hearing about what you get for the money. Long waiting times, charges for fault finding, no carbon build up cover etc etc.....what does it actually cover???
I always thought If you had a warranty you had peace of mind but I don't think it would give me that :thumbsdown:

Look at any warranty you claim via the All In as a bonus. The servicing, MOT's and breakdown cover are what you really pay for, and monthly with no interest.
Mine recently had an AdBlue error and the no3 glow plug replaced under warranty. With diag, parts and labout that came in at £600 but was covered by the warranty.
Sure, some things aren't covered but there's much more that is. I've also had an MOT and major service so I'm already evens with 18 months breakdown, another MOT and a service remaining.
You do have to fight to get it booked in but the breakdown guys can assist if you already know there are error codes. So buy a code reader and once you know the faults are covered by warranty you call VW Assist and when they see the same codes they can raise a work order that gets you booked in and checked at the dealers within 72 hours. This way you also wont have to pay any diag fees up front because VW assist have already verified that there are faults.
You just gotta play the system a bit.

That's really useful advice. I didn't know about the fact track vw assist way in.
My van is used for work and being self employed I can't have it sat a dealers for weeks waiting for work etc.
I do have a carista so still might look into it.
Cheers....Kev

The more I read about all in warranty the more it puts me off getting it.
I was ready to pull the trigger on it before hearing about what you get for the money. Long waiting times, charges for fault finding, no carbon build up cover etc etc.....what does it actually cover???
I always thought If you had a warranty you had peace of mind but I don't think it would give me that :thumbsdown:
Exactly so did I !!!

I brought my new to me van last April with the All-in-Warranty which I though gave me peace of mind as it was a private sale, little did I know how much was excluded and generally useless.

apart from the ongoing EML issue that the dealer has so far had five goes at fixing without success .... documented elsewhere but now likely to cost me £100's in diagnostic costs. They are suggesting they now need to investigate inlet manifold not sure why or perhaps I am, call me cynical but what's the betting they find soot deposits? that will be another £1,200 sir as excluded from warranty even though they will not be able to prove it is the cause of the fault. Van drives fine which is the puzzle

So
  • 2 x MOTs included but couldn't book in for two months by which time existing MOT would of expired. INCLUDED BUT IMPOSSIBLE TO GET IN LOCAL DEALER
  • Did get major service PART OF SERVICE PLAN and they managed to break the panel covering pollen filter and thought they could get away with a sticky pad repair
  • DSG oil change £300+ NOT PART OF SERVICE PLAN
  • broken engine mount which I was told was not covered but should of been. SHOULD BE COVERED UNDER WARRANTY
  • crank case oil seal (very common design fault) £800 as made sense to get timing belt and water pump done at the same time, NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY
  • I did get a faulty door actuator replaced as fortunately faulted whilst in workshop
  • and don't forget you have to use main dealers so straight the way your bill is double from my experience. I am sure a VAT registered garage does not count on this one?
on the plus side
  • VW Breakdown and Assist are brilliant - been out four times for EML
  • I guess gear box and engine covered unless they can find a way to wriggle out of it
would I commit to another two years .... the jury is out on that one ... probably not

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
and don't forget you have to use main dealers so straight the way your bill is double from my experience. I am sure a VAT registered garage does not count on this one
You should be able to use any garage that has access to the VW Warranty system, it's not specifically tied to the dealerships that's why it's done by the finance side of VW.

Sometimes it's easier via the dealers, they have more invested and if you are a regular there is a greater chance of goodwill and arguing your case in the warrant claim but it's not the only route.

I assume the 5 Year Factory warranty doesn't get you access to VW assist?

I have the 5YR on my Van but tbh didn't look into what it covered, it just felt like a good idea at the time.

You get.

Breakdown cover.

Silver van guys on your drive.

Most parts warranty.

MOTs, two services.

I've had DMF done and EGR done under all In.... Both well over £1k jobs.

So I consider it worth while.... (for years 6&7 on the VAN as i had 1-3free then Factory wrrnty for yrs 4&5) - you can have it after yr7 or 100k miles.

But crank main seal seams to not be covered. - ( oil leaks + seals)

That's the three main things that need doing on the T6 that we see all the time are:

DMF, EGR, CMS

:mexican wave:

Last edited:
You should be able to use any garage that has access to the VW Warranty system, it's not specifically tied to the dealerships that's why it's done by the finance side of VW.

Sometimes it's easier via the dealers, they have more invested and if you are a regular there is a greater chance of goodwill and arguing your case in the warrant claim but it's not the only route.
maybe so but that wasn't how it was put to me when I have spoke to the dealers, VW Finance and the Warranty handlers/underwriters. I would walk away from the main dealer tomorrow if I had the chance. They are not even local only went there as heard seriously poor reviews of my local outfit

I certainly asked about some trusted local independents and was told I could not use

be interesting to find out what non dealer options there are

Hmmm interestingly checking the terms and conditions the Car and the Commercial All In differ slightly.

The car one specifically says retailers and Volkswagen Authorised Repairer, whereas the Commercial one only specifies Volkswagen Van Centres.

Though you can claim privately if you have to have warranty work done abroad.

I assume the 5 Year Factory warranty doesn't get you access to VW assist?

I have the 5YR on my Van but tbh didn't look into what it covered, it just felt like a good idea at the time.
yes , you get VW Assist. (well supposed too)

though i did call them out once in year 5 and was told i wasn't eligible. i then questioned this with the dealer - they said you are defo covered?

then next time i was "All In" so defo covered.

( silver van guys, they are awesome )

want a rough idea about warranty and All-In faults and claims?

check out this ride -

Back