Isle of Skye Potholes?

kevnsue

T6 Pro
Hi all, I am hopeing someone can help. My neighbour has just cancelled his Isle of Skye trip on the rumour that Skye has a terrible pothole situation and people in campers are reporting serious damage to vehicles. Has anyone been to Skye recently? and maybe confirm this, or not. Many thanks all.

Hi all, I am hopeing someone can help. My neighbour has just cancelled his Isle of Skye trip on the rumour that Skye has a terrible pothole situation and people in campers are reporting serious damage to vehicles. Has anyone been to Skye recently? and maybe confirm this, or not. Many thanks all.
The A850 looks bad, but should be navigable at sensible speeds - perhaps the locals are exaggerating to force remedial work or to try and keep visitor numbers down?

Sounds like your neighbour is a bit of a lightweight :whistle:

The state of the roads across the Highlands is generally atrocious. In some ways sections like that on Skye are not so worrying because you know they are there. Its the odd unexpected pothole here and that catch you out when you are doing 50/60mph and there is something coming the other way

I can't comment on Skye as it's been a couple of years, but a mate on Mull said he has noticed the roads getting bad over the last few years. He says locals are all buying larger cars and 4x4 vehicles to combat the potholes. He recons it's the cash strapped councils shifting money from themselves to the tax payers who are having to invest in more robust vehicles...
But realistically I wouldn't be afraid to take my Shuttle to Skye, just don't go over the speed limit and enjoy the scenery.

We did a trip around the outer Hebrides, Skye and Mull, from Surrey last summer

All I can say is don’t travel around Surrey - our roads are disgraceful.

Nearly all the Scottish roads we traveled on were far superior

I was on Skye a month ago and the roads are horrendous! They are definitely not exaggerating…I live a couple of hours further south on the west coast also and our roads are tremendous compared to Skye!

On the other hand if driving slowly should be fine but if you’re caught out you will definitely damage tyres and wheels!

I was up in Dunvegan area mid-Feb, some massive pot holes. But just go easy, only real issue is it’s pitch black

Reactions: CAB
I was on Skye a few months ago and Mull last week. All I can say is that I'm glad I had the 16" alloys on and not 20"s with the rubber bands called tyres.
I can easily see if you are just a occasional tourist or a nervous/inexperienced type of driver how you may get caught out. Miss one pothole and it's very expensive. Not many tyre shops up there never mind alloy wheel suppliers.
It's no longer peaceful place it was up there anyway, completely ruined by people in my humble opinion. It's like Blackpool in season now, the sooner people get by to their annual Spain beach holidays the better it will be.

I'm watching this thread with interest as I drove around Skye last May and the previous October with no trouble and am going back this May. It sounds as if the roads have deteriorated over the past 10 or so months. Hope they are fixed soon!

For the record, my vote for the area in Britan with the worst roads is - Oxfordshire

I'm watching this thread with interest as I drove around Skye last May and the previous October with no trouble and am going back this May. It sounds as if the roads have deteriorated over the past 10 or so months. Hope they are fixed soon!

For the record, my vote for the area in Britan with the worst roads is - Oxfordshire
Hampshire

Hampshire
The lane I live on!

Just counted a dozen deep craters in less than 0.3 miles - predominantly single track, so you can't dodge them and, inevitably, they're all on the driving line. :mad:

I was on Mull a couple of weeks ago and the roads were pretty bad except for the main one that runs up to Tobermory, but I managed to easily avoid all the potholes and didn’t wreck my 20’s. I remember Skye being similar a couple of years ago. It’s easy if you just pootle along.

Back