Is this Caravelle worth the advertised price?

roadtripper

2021 Caravelle Executive
VIP Member
T6 Legend
No I'm not thinking of changing the van. A family member rather likes the look of ours but doesn't have the budget for a T6.1 and has found this 2019 T6 Caravelle:

They've already had a frank view of general T6 ownership (ups and downs) from us and know our van reasonably well.

If anyone has any thoughts of things they should double check or keep an eye on let me know :thumbsup:

Wish I'd seen that before I bought my 2017 for not much less..... VW Loughton had a white BiTDI for £38k, 37k miles. Don't know what others think about the Bitdi though

^^ wot he said!

Also, does it have LED headlights?

I was going to ask the opinion in the headlights :rofl:

As far as I can tell it has LED front and rear.

If it wasn't for the lack of driver toys assistance I'd be seriously considering what the extra cash got us...

Looks good. Rear bench, it’s missing the parcel shelf. Other than that all the goodies are in. Caravelle T6 Caravelle has got rear side curtains airbags which are not in the T6.1 (was an expensive option nobody was bothered with).
Btdi it’s a peach. Compared to the 150 it’s not just more power. It’s more refined, less noisy, sounds better on tick over. More torque at less rev. Drinks more though. I didn’t notice the difference in the summer. Now with temperature below 5 Celsius it’s more thirsty. 27/28mpg at 75mph gps.

(was an expensive option nobody was bothered with).
In August 2021, curtain airbags were £310 + VAT, so not that expensive given the additional safety benefits.

Maybe the option wasn’t available? I couldn’t find one with rear side airbags.

So I'm going to see this tomorrow morning:

It's the 150 bhp CXFA engine which is apparently better than the CXHA for DSG?

Ticks enough of my boxes (see previous thread) after I decided to sacrifice the 4WD.

Interested to hear people's thoughts on what to look for? Obviously it's only 3 years/<40,000 miles old so it should be in good condition - but are there any things to check out particularly, either base Transporter pieces or anything Caravelle-specific?

And any thoughts on what price I should be aiming at? There aren't many comparables for the LWB as they're so rare...

It'll be due the dsg oil change at 40k miles so try to get that included or the price of it knocked off.

Looks like a decent slightly specced up SE LWB - check the Nappa leather condition as that will NOT be cheap to replace/repair.

No heated windscreen but (like mine) it has the laminate (double glazed) windscreen and presumably the front windows, it makes them a very nice and quiet place to be, it cuts out a decent bit of noise.

The 150tdi is definitely the least (potentially) troublesome of all the engine/drivetrain choices, with the 199/204bhp 4motion being the most (potentially) ruinous!

As you say, LWB caravelles are a very rare beast, most were specced as executive models which don't come as LWB.

Oh and it's 100% worth getting the caravelle over the combi or similar, they're much more like a car with extra insulation, sound deadening etc.

It'll be due the dsg oil change at 40k miles so try to get that included or the price of it knocked off.

Looks like a decent slightly specced up SE LWB - check the Nappa leather condition as that will NOT be cheap to replace/repair.

No heated windscreen but (like mine) it has the laminate (double glazed) windscreen and presumably the front windows, it makes them a very nice and quiet place to be, it cuts out a decent bit of noise.

The 150tdi is definitely the least (potentially) troublesome of all the engine/drivetrain choices, with the 199/204bhp 4motion being the most (potentially) ruinous!

As you say, LWB caravelles are a very rare beast, most were specced as executive models which don't come as LWB.

Oh and it's 100% worth getting the caravelle over the combi or similar, they're much more like a car with extra insulation, sound deadening etc.
That's helpful, thanks. What's does the DSG oil change typically cost?

That's helpful, thanks. What's does the DSG oil change typically cost?
I think it's about £300-400 at a main dealer. Not a huge amount but a bargaining chip for sure.

Price wise I think it's about right tbh, although I'd try and get a grand or 2 off bearing in mind the time of year. Don't be surprised if they only budge by 500 quid though!

I'm guessing it's about to come out of warranty at 3 years old, you'll want to take out the all in one pack which includes 2 years of services, breakdown cover and most importantly, 2 more years warranty.

Not sure if it helps, but I paid 45k for a 2018 42k miles caravelle executive in July last year - prices has definitely relaxed a bit since then, by about 3-4k.

Last edited:
Welcome a board! I am on my 3rd Caravelle and with a bustling family life hard to find an alternative.
First class travelling around Europe and completely under the radar. Lwb add even more flexibility. You can have a double bed in the boot and still 5 seats to use.
Enjoy it.

Back