Is this Campervan worth the advertised price?

Hi all,
2018 highline SWB less than 40k miles, Euro 6, t6 diesel, manual, diesel heater, 60 liters tank, cambelt changed and all documents in order. Is 37 k a good price?

Hi all,
2018 highline SWB less than 40k miles, Euro 6, t6 diesel, manual, diesel heater, 60 liters tank, cambelt changed and all documents in order. Is 37 k a good price?
This all depends on the condition of the base van and quality and specification of the conversion. Some more details would help people chip in with comments.

t28 H-LN TDI BMI, no oven or solar panels, has an awning, few small dents and scratches outside, very good condition inside. It has a slim cupboard space as the bed is bigger with 3 seats on the back, seats do not move on rails, captain seat in front. Auto cruise, Air con, heated front screen, manual 5 speed gear box. Might have to replace two tyres but they still have life in them.

Hi all. Been lurking for a a long time now but just joined the forum.
We've been looking at buying a van for a while and are now able to go for it.
We've found one in a private sale that is perfect for us. Over the year or so we have been looking we haven't seen another that matches our requirements so exactly.
HOWEVER.... It was advertised as having FSH. When we arrived it does not. There are only 3 stamps in the book with a gap of 100k prior to the latest one. The seller has no receipts for any of the work done, including the conversion and claims all servicing and work carried out by a local garage.
The conversion would cost in the region of 15k for parts alone.
Apart from a couple of minor rust spots which don't bother me,there is a rattling noise in the engine bay. It sounds like a loose cover or something and the van runs perfectly and has a recent MOT with no advisories.
He claims the cambelt and waterpump were done at 100k and the van has done 126k but he has no receipts.
It's more money than I have ever spent on anything in my life so I'm nervous about parting with over 30 grand.
My heart says yes as the van is 100% what we would build ourselves but the lack of history bothers me.
So... What would you do?
Any advice appreciated, thanks.

I think you are right to be cautious. If they have had work carried out at a local garage they should still be able to obtain receipts for previous work by asking them for them as any decent garage will have them on their computer system. 100k is a very big gap in service history so unless very cheap or they can produce the receipts I would walk away. How old is it?

If you bought it you would need to budget for having the cambelt done again and it is also going to be worth less to someone if you ever come to sell.

what specifically are you looking for in a van which makes this one so special as it is a buyers market at the moment?

,there is a rattling noise in the engine bay. It sounds like a loose cover or something and the van runs perfectly
The seller should sort that out easily then, a rattling sound could be anything, including a failing DMF or worse. As others have said, you'd have to spend around £500 on a new cam belt / water pump and aux belt if you buy it because you have no proof of it being done.
I'm afraid I can't deal with anybody who claims that a vehicle has a Full Service History when in reality that only covers the first 26K of 126K, it's just misleading.

I agree actually as somehow missed that, if beIng advertising as FSH and clearly doesn't then walk away as what else are they not being honest about.

what specifically are you looking for in a van which makes this one so special as it is a buyers market at the moment?
Euro 6, lwb, tailgate, pop top, swivel front seats, full width rail mounted reimo v3000 (or similar) , split charge, hook up, awning. Nice styling is a plus.
It really has everything we want.

This looks rather pleasant @Vroomfondel

If you're very keen I would ask for details of the local garage that has done the work and call them for details. If none supplied then find another T6, there's plenty out there.

FSH means there is evidence of work done, simply saying it’s been done is ridiculous. Why would anyone not keep receipts or proof of work done, on such a high value item? No one in this day and age is naive enough to think it’s unnecessary. As stated above, when the time comes for you to sell it, you are going to have to convince the next buyer it been done, and worse case scenario if you had it stolen or written off the insurance co will not payout market value without proof of service history.
Also as said above it’s a buyers market, if you have very specific requirements buy a decent van and have it converted to your spec.
If if he’s cagey about the history there may well be other issues he’s not mentioning.

If you're very keen I would ask for details of the local garage that has done the work and call them for details. If none supplied then find another T6, there's plenty out there.
Good point but if it’s his mate he might say anything you want to hear, also it’s not up to you to have to chase up the history. Any decent seller should already have it, or at the very least do that for you.

Hi all. Been lurking for a a long time now but just joined the forum.
We've been looking at buying a van for a while and are now able to go for it.
We've found one in a private sale that is perfect for us. Over the year or so we have been looking we haven't seen another that matches our requirements so exactly.
HOWEVER.... It was advertised as having FSH. When we arrived it does not. There are only 3 stamps in the book with a gap of 100k prior to the latest one. The seller has no receipts for any of the work done, including the conversion and claims all servicing and work carried out by a local garage.
The conversion would cost in the region of 15k for parts alone.
Apart from a couple of minor rust spots which don't bother me,there is a rattling noise in the engine bay. It sounds like a loose cover or something and the van runs perfectly and has a recent MOT with no advisories.
He claims the cambelt and waterpump were done at 100k and the van has done 126k but he has no receipts.
It's more money than I have ever spent on anything in my life so I'm nervous about parting with over 30 grand.
My heart says yes as the van is 100% what we would build ourselves but the lack of history bothers me.
So... What would you do?
Any advice appreciated, thanks.
As far as I’m aware, from the T6 onwards didn’t have a service book, it’s all stored online by VW (assuming it’s been done by VW) so I’m not sure what this service book is that you’ve been shown. £30k sounds top money for a high mileage van of uncertain history. As others have said, walk. Don’t make the mistake of falling for the first one that ticks your boxes, there’ll be others come along.

Walk away , when I was looking a few years ago this was a major problem, advertised as FSH and when it came crunch time there were gaps
You will know when you find the right van
Anybody who truly cares about thier van will have a folder full of everything that’s been done ( obviously not where SWMBO can find it )
Good luck

This looks rather pleasant @Vroomfondel

That certainly is a nice van, but lacking the tailgate and rail seat. Also too far above our budget unfortunately. But thanks for the link.

Back