Is my wing mirror salvageable?

Dripster

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Had mine taken out by a truck.

Folding motor and adjustment motors seems to work fine but obviously wiring for heating element and mounting for mirror has been trashed.

Anyone done a DIY fix for this? Imagine VW will just say the whole unit needs replacing.

Last edited by a moderator:
will this help?

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I’ve got replacement glass and top and bottom covers. Two new problems.

The connector for the heated element were ripped off, look like 2.8mm spade connectors? Anyway, should be easy to fix.

IMG_20210807_090344.jpg
Bigger problem possibly, the 'ring' that I assume swivels to adjust the mirror seems to have a bit snapped off where the cross bar attaches:
IMG_20210807_090230.jpg
I assume that end of the crossbar is meant to attach to the ring like it does at the other end?
IMG_20210807_090225.jpg
Do I need to replace that, or is it even possible to? Is there a way of glueing / sticking something to ring that would hold the bar to it? Or am I looking at replacing the whole thing now? ☹️

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I’ve got replacement glass and top and bottom covers. Two new problems.

The connector for the heated element were ripped off, look like 2.8mm spade connectors? Anyway, should be easy to fix.

View attachment 126455
Bigger problem possibly, the 'ring' that I assume swivels to adjust the mirror seems to have a bit snapped off where the cross bar attaches:
View attachment 126456
I assume that end of the crossbar is meant to attach to the ring like it does at the other end?
View attachment 126457
Do I need to replace that, or is it even possible to? Is there a way of glueing / sticking something to ring that would hold the bar to it? Or am I looking at replacing the whole thing now? ☹️
That’s starting to look like “beyond repair” now. No harm in trying a bodge fix with a glue gun at this stage

Cheers. Going to be super annoying if it’s just that plastic ring that means I have to replace the whole thing!!!

I may stick it all back together and see if I can get by. If it’s just the adjustment that doesn’t do its job properly I may just live with it. Or get it fixed under warranty!

Well it's all back together. Soldered on some new connectors, squeezed the bar back in the ring with some pliers (and broke off the outer tab at the same time :rolleyes:) and popped it all back together.

Still heats, adjusts (not as smoothly) and folds. Expect it will fail at some point, or get fully demolished by another collision, but saved an expensive trip to VW for now.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

IMG_20210807_145536.jpgIMG_20210807_145540.jpgIMG_20210807_103531.jpgIMG_20210807_150712.jpg

Well it's all back together. Soldered on some new connectors, squeezed the bar back in the ring with some pliers (and broke off the outer tab at the same time :rolleyes:) and popped it all back together.

Still heats, adjusts (not as smoothly) and folds. Expect it will fail at some point, or get fully demolished by another collision, but saved an expensive trip to VW for now.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

View attachment 126492View attachment 126493View attachment 126494View attachment 126496
Well done! Many would have given up on it!

Back