Iphone Parent / Child Set Up Arrggghhhh!!!

Paynewright

VIP Member
T6 Legend
This issue has been on going for some time but son's new iPhone has brought to the fore having spent several hours today trying to set it up!

Myself, daughter (13) and son (11) all have iPhones. I have a parent apple ID and kids have their own IDs. We dont purchase anything from iTunes so no sharing needed but because of their ages they have to be tagged to my apple ID.

Today, tried to set up son's phone with his own ID and use a back up of his previous iphone for apps, photos etc, however, it has reverted the apple ID to mine. Daughters is like this too.

For some reason we all see each others messages and I can get calls for daughter?? I can fiddle around with settings to stop this, however, it switches off functionality for me. How do I get their own apple ID as the main one on their phone?

Google hasnt brought up any workable solutions - changing the ID on their devices gets so far and fails.

Anyone been through this or does their age mean mine will always be the primary ID on their phones?

Frustrated of Leicester

Ian

You need to sign out of iCloud on his phone, he signs up with a new apple id, then you add him to the family group

hours I've spent on this - how simple!!! His ID automatically replaced mine!

Thank you :thumbsup:

Have felt your pain many times before in the same situation. Despite the impression given Apple products are as intuitive as astrophysics at times and when you do eventually get it.......they launch an update!

I did the same on daughters phone and it wiped from her phone anything stored in icloud - arrrrgggghhhh. I can log onto the PC and see everything in icloud but there is no easy way to get photos, notes etc back on her phone.

I’d be surprised if an astrophysicist could even work it out! (I used to write SQL code and I’m completely lost with i products!)

I've had some issues with iPads over xmas too. I bought my Dad an iPad Mini and my Mum a full size to replace the iPad 2 she's had a few years and has been declining in usefulness. I have no problem adapting to whatever changes to iOS and it's still far and away the easiest to use, though the gap over Android is narrowing. But my parents have really struggled and I've ended up disabling a fair few of the features to avoid frustration. Both of them seem to struggle with getting the length of press right, from summoning Siri when they don't mean to, to pressing an icon just long enough to go into "jiggle mode", to tapping too quick to activate anything. Another big issue that I thought would be a big benefit to them and turned out not to be, was touch ID. My mum would often take 2-3 attempts to put her correct passcode in, but it seems touch ID just doesn't work as well on 80+ yr old wrinkled and arthritic fingertips. Even when getting them to train the same finger on each of the 5 finger options to increase accuracy (something I got from an Apple employee) my Dad's works maybe 1 in 3 and my Mum's probably taking 4 to 5 attempts to unlock, whereas mine is always instant.
Everything that seems obvious to me and foolproof, has turned out to be anything but. I'm there again next week with my 5 year old grandaughter so she can take a turn at being tech support :D

So todays conundrum....

Something odd has happened to one of my iphone contacts.

I have been messaging this person who also has an iphone (so blue background on texts) since Jan 2019.

Yesterday messaged them and the background was green. No reply. Sent a follow up message and again no reply. Last message that worked was Tuesday.

Popped in to see them as nearby today. No messages received. Sent a test message this afternoon (liaised with their spouse so they knew it was inbound). Person replied from a different number saying no text received.

Few messages backwards and forwards. Have you changed your phone - No, do you recognise this number (the one in my contacts) - No. And I've not changed any contacts details recently.

The number I have in my contacts for the person is linked to all our messages going back to Jan 2019 yet it is not their number?

I cannot work it out and its twisting my swede. Only things I can think it can be 1) my phones been hacked, 2) Its a number on daughters phone (linked apple ID) or 3) my friend had two numbers with one on divert (though they dont recognise the number)

I have also called the number and it wont connect / is unavailable.

Any ideas?

So todays conundrum....

Something odd has happened to one of my iphone contacts.

I have been messaging this person who also has an iphone (so blue background on texts) since Jan 2019.

Yesterday messaged them and the background was green. No reply. Sent a follow up message and again no reply. Last message that worked was Tuesday.

Popped in to see them as nearby today. No messages received. Sent a test message this afternoon (liaised with their spouse so they knew it was inbound). Person replied from a different number saying no text received.

Few messages backwards and forwards. Have you changed your phone - No, do you recognise this number (the one in my contacts) - No. And I've not changed any contacts details recently.

The number I have in my contacts for the person is linked to all our messages going back to Jan 2019 yet it is not their number?

I cannot work it out and its twisting my swede. Only things I can think it can be 1) my phones been hacked, 2) Its a number on daughters phone (linked apple ID) or 3) my friend had two numbers with one on divert (though they dont recognise the number)

I have also called the number and it wont connect / is unavailable.

Any ideas?

if you’ve been sending iMessages to a chain started on an email contact, it’ll be linked via the email address and not the phone number. Could it be that?

Ah - I caught a glimpse of my friends texts and it had my email address against texts to me.

But where did the random phone number come from? It not a know number in any of our devices

But where did the random phone number come from? It not a know number in any of our devices

no clue I’m afraid! I’ve noticed I can have two message strings running, one to someone’s email address, and one to their phone number, and they’re distinctly separate.

I have seen similar for eg. If you like to keep your number, when you get a sim it has a temporary number for a while before you old number gets transferred over.
That temporary number can get stored or used in a message thread, or saved against a contact?

Back