Internal or External Front Screen Cover - Insulated Or Not

Just to add @Jane that whilst you don't get condensation on the windscreen with externals like you do on internals, don't forget that you WILL get condensation on all of the side windows in cold weather. The interior does need some mopping up or airing out in a morning. The more bodies inside and the worse the issue.

Just to add @Jane that whilst you don't get condensation on the windscreen with externals like you do on internals, don't forget that you WILL get condensation on all of the side windows in cold weather. The interior does need some mopping up or airing out in a morning. The more bodies inside and the worse the issue.
True, we just go round with a microfibre cloth in the morning. Also, if you go external, they only cover the cab, you still need internal blinds for the side & rear windows if you have them. We are currently in Pila in the Aosta valley stealthing it at the gondola car park. It’s -8 out side & we are sat in the van in t shirts all warm & toasty. I can recommend the Just Kampers internal blinds.

True, we just go round with a microfibre cloth in the morning. Also, if you go external, they only cover the cab, you still need internal blinds for the side & rear windows if you have them. We are currently in Pila in the Aosta valley stealthing it at the gondola car park. It’s -8 out side & we are sat in the van in t shirts all warm & toasty. I can recommend the Just Kampers internal blinds.

We also have the rear external cover from Rainbow which is an excellent fit and works well.

Been looking at external blackout/ thermal screen covers from Rainbow & Vanshades. In terms of cost not much between them. However, the big question I’m asking is which one comes top in terms of quality, performance and functionality, or are there alternate screen out there I should be looking at?

Hi guys
We are just booking our first conversion in - T6 swb for June. We have never had a camper before so I’m currently feeling completely clueless and have spent more hours than I’d like to admit on this forum over the past could of days. I’ve looked at a few threads regarding the screen covers and from what I’ve read the rainbow screens seem to be most popular.
If anyone has any other recommendations please let me know-

any photos of some rainbow screens would also be useful as The ones with faces/ images on are hard to picture on the website as they don’t seem to show how your colour combination will look.

One question I did have regarding the rainbow screens is how much room do they take up when in the van.

Also do people also use internal screens for thre side windows or are blackout curtains.

Im hoping it’s ok to add to this thread. I read on one post that that’s preferable over starting a new post on the same topic but please correct me if I'm mistaken.

thanks in advance

There are pros and cons for internal/external screen covers
I use a set of stick on thermal screens for the cab, I don’t have trouble with condensation because it's well ventilated.
Mine lay flat on the pop top bed board when not in use taking up no space at all.
Personally I prefer internal to external as they are less bulky, and don’t get sopping wet when it rains. Others are very happy with external, it’s a personal choice thing.

blackout curtains for the living area

Hi guys
We are just booking our first conversion in - T6 swb for June. We have never had a camper before so I’m currently feeling completely clueless and have spent more hours than I’d like to admit on this forum over the past could of days. I’ve looked at a few threads regarding the screen covers and from what I’ve read the rainbow screens seem to be most popular.
If anyone has any other recommendations please let me know-

any photos of some rainbow screens would also be useful as The ones with faces/ images on are hard to picture on the website as they don’t seem to show how your colour combination will look.

One question I did have regarding the rainbow screens is how much room do they take up when in the van.

Also do people also use internal screens for thre side windows or are blackout curtains.

Im hoping it’s ok to add to this thread. I read on one post that that’s preferable over starting a new post on the same topic but please correct me if I'm mistaken.

thanks in advance
Lots of other threads on this subject if you do a search, we use the screens below and just love them

Dellmassive - pictures of silver screens on van and a picture of the bag that they go in which is approx 1000 x 450 x 75 and is still compressible and fits under the seats easilyView attachment 56163 View attachment 56164 View attachment 56165
hello wilson, that looks good. we have a rainbow screen that we leave on almost all winter but this does fill up suprisingly with water.. i'd be interested to speak with silver screens about theirs. see if it'd do the same..

The material Silver Screens use is waterproof. When we remove ours there is usually some surface moisture on the outside that can be wiped off but the underside is dry like Wilson unless its been raining but then the window side just needs wiping off and an aring before packing away

Hi Scotia, we use our screen all year round (obviously not at the moment thanks to C-19) but we braved Cornwall last February in the storms and had no real problems with water ingress into the screen cover. It has also been on trough the heaviest rain and even snow with only slight ingress (nothing that a day on the line once we got home didn't resolve. The Silver Screen is a well made and versatile piece of cut and blocks out all light - also works well in summer as a reflector to reduce heat build up in the van.

Also bear in mind you won't have soggy cloths from clearing the inevitable condensation from the front screens if you use internal blinds.
Also external screens are quicker to fit, give better blackout, and don't wind into the front doors if you press the un-lock button too hard! Or is that just me :confused:

Hi just to add, I can confirm there is no condensation to worry about (especially on the inside of the van the silver screens cover can also have the front screen section folded down to allow daylight in (it has a vertical velcro strip down the A pillar for flexibility. Also just looking at the images I uploaded ages ago they don't do the actual fit justice as a newbie to the screens I hadn't realised the best fit nuances to the screen and in reality the fit is brilliant and flat all round! (I will update the images soon) and you can also use an elasticated toggle through a loop and round the door handle in extreme wind. I can only say that in practice they work brilliantly, look great, give total black out and have never let us down.

ok cool, yes totally agree with the no condensation remark - we dont have any with our rainbow screen. its just as we use it ll winter round (and the van is parked in a carpark not garage) the black has now faded to a grey.. was thinking to use a silver one as this would stay same colour. was also interested to see if the silver screen one would fill with water as ours has.. sounds better from the comments.

Back