Internal or External Front Screen Cover - Insulated Or Not

Hi all, after much consideration and research I eventually opted for silver screens (based in Cleckheaton) I rang (initially for a price as it is not quite clear on their site - they offer 150 options apparently and can also bespoke them) and was amazed at their helpfulness and they said if I placed an order today they would be with me next day! they arrived less than 24hrs later - we used them on a weekend camp - it got down to -2 degrees and I was delighted at the performance - we were cosy with the diesel heater on and had no internal condensation on the front screen and side windows.
They were extremely easy to fit, and fitted very neatly with only a tiny amount of light leakage near the door mirrors we are impressed at the quality, service and fit of the cover.
The option supplied was the Paragon which allows the front cover to be folded down from the top or vice versa to let in some light if required - cost was £189 in VAT - not the cheapest but after taking the chance and using them in sub zero conditions I have absolutely no regrets and look forward to our planned February tour of Cornwall

Hi Dellmassive - I will take some tomorrow and send (along with the T6 forum sticker pic's) thanks

Mines a "Silver Screens" bought from Kiravans, what I particularly like about them is that you dont have to faff about with the cab curtains at night, and there is no condensation at all. It fits perfectly all round and single-handed takes a minute to set up. Bigger when wrapped up than a non-insulated one, but I fold mine flat and it lives between the drivers seat and the kitchen unit. The rear one I've had less success with, its always a game to get the suckers to stick :)

Good to hear - literally a minute to fit is true we usually divide our set tasks and the wife was most impressed with my performance fora change lol!

Genuine question for all you people with insulated screen covers. I have seen (and been impressed by) Rainbow Screens at the NEC show but have been put off by the fact that you have the inevitable problem of having to stow a potentially very wet screen when you drive away in the van. How do you handle it? Also does anybody use the insulated covers on the side windows, rear window(s) and poptop as well? Same question about wet stowage applies to them.

Thanks in advance.

Genuine question for all you people with insulated screen covers. I have seen (and been impressed by) Rainbow Screens at the NEC show but have been put off by the fact that you have the inevitable problem of having to stow a potentially very wet screen when you drive away in the van. How do you handle it? Also does anybody use the insulated covers on the side windows, rear window(s) and poptop as well? Same question about wet stowage applies to them.

Thanks in advance.
When we take our screen and front side windows off wet I hang them from the mirrors/tree/whatever so that most of the water runs off then either wipe with a cloth or if in a rush just roll up and put in the bag provided to dry when home. However in reality most times we pile all the camping paraphernalia on the floor of the truck then just put the screens over the top to cover everything and keep it out of sight. The water is only on the surface (they are not like a soggy mess) so minimal and quickly evaporates. away.

Last edited:

Thanks in advance.
I have a Rainbow poptop cover, I’ve only used it once and probably won’t ever use it again. It works well enough to keep rain off the canvas and I imagine it would be good in cold, windy weather, but I don’t camp in weather like that except when I could sleep downstairs and drop the roof anyway. I found it a pia to remove and put back any time I wanted to go anywhere, was stifling hot in even moderate weather as it blocks the natural ventilation, and worst of all was huge when rolled up and took up too much space in the van. I think it would maybe suit someone who stayed on a campsite in cold/wet weather for 3+ days at a time without moving the van or dropping the roof in that time, but that’s not me.

Ayjay surprisingly they do not get very wet - there is no condensation on the underside and I just wipe off the surface water (outside face) with a microfibre towel which leaves them virtually dry, the bag they come with is great - they fit easily and when packed the whole thing is about 75mm thick, the bag is also water proof so if they were damp they would not cause leakage onto other items and they slip neatly into my rear stowage (under seat) I always dry them properly when we get home just to be sure. I am looking at the Vanshades pop top cover currently and would hope the same principles will apply - anyone got any comments?

Dellmassive - pictures of silver screens on van and a picture of the bag that they go in which is approx 1000 x 450 x 75 and is still compressible and fits under the seats easilysilver screen front.jpg silver screens door.jpg silver screens in bag.jpg

External. I've been campervanning and motorhoming for 20+ years and had both. External fits better and provides better insulation, from hot and cold but are bulkier. Mine goes in one half of the front double seat. No dramas to fit, especially no fannying about when the suckers come off the screen inside and leave big round sucker marks and condensation on the windscreen.

External. I've been campervanning and motorhoming for 20+ years and had both. External fits better and provides better insulation, from hot and cold but are bulkier. Mine goes in one half of the front double seat. No dramas to fit, especially no fannying about when the suckers come off the screen inside and leave big round sucker marks and condensation on the windscreen.
Thank you so much... only had my van for 24 hours !!!just getting sorted with accessories

External every time, there are several interesting threads already on the forum, just type it in the search box top right of screen - happy reading.

Just for the sake of balance, we prefer internal

Started with external but now use internal. Not going back!

Internal can also be fitted from inside van when it's pouring with rain/snow. You also don't have a wet screen to try and store if it has been raining.

Internal for moi :thumbsup:
The suckers work very well and don’t get left on the screen if you use the little tag or lift the edge of the sucker to take them off.

Unlike external screens in the rain, they stay dry, ok we might lay them out for a mo, if there’s a little condensation, we are able to store them flat on the bed in the pop top, so no loss of storage space.

You don’t need me to tell you how vital space is in a T6

Back