Insulation upgrade question

chazmanda

Hi all, got my van 2nd hand and previous owner has done this to sound deaden / insulate in some of the panels. I need to get a trim tool to check in the roof.

I was looking to get the dodo mat deadening and insulation kit as I think it will probably do a much better job. If I pulled out all that loft insulation stuff it's obviously going to leave crap stuck to the panels. So would it be best to remove it with some kind of chemical like goo gone or would it be ok to just stick the dodo on top of the left over "hairs and glue"?

Be grateful of any advice, total noob still learning! Thanks!!PXL_20220126_120422975.jpgPXL_20220126_120348827.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I’d get that off. The dodomat sound deadening needs to be in full contact with the metal in order to deaden the panel as far as I’m aware, although you don’t need to achieve complete coverage (although most people do).

Personally I’d get that off. The dodomat sound deadening needs to be in full contact with the metal in order to deaden the panel as far as I’m aware, although you don’t need to achieve complete coverage (although most people do).
Thanks for the advice. Any recommendations on a chemical or method that would remove it without messing up the panel?

Thanks for the advice. Any recommendations on a chemical or method that would remove it without messing up the panel?
Not personally because mine was bare metal, but I’ve seen a few threads, have a search. I honestly can’t remember what sticky stuff remover was recommended.

Bit of an update, upon further investigation it turns out the stuff glued to my van panels is actually VW stuff. I found a sticker on the back of a piece of it. So I'm asking advice again, leave it in or replace with dodo? In the sliding door, where my window leaked the water has made it come unstuck in there. So wondering whether to glue it back in place with high temp adhesive spray or take it out and replace with the dodo stuff?PXL_20220227_152441504.jpg

dump the goo gone and go for a tar remover is my advice......have tried goo gone on a few things and dont rate it but willing to be proven wrong. I find that in sticky situations AG tar remover is unbeatable.

Back