Remove carpet to insulate?

tilla

Hi all,

Recently got my T6 and I have a question about insulating the van as I plan to convert it into a camper in time for this summer.

I've only just bought the van and it has already been ply'd, lined with carpet and the flooring has been done. It looks great but there aren't any specific thermal or sound insulation pads stuck to the panels or wheel arches etc. In terms of when I'm driving, the noise of the van is pretty quiet but I'm conscious that the van won't be very warm, so my question is - is it essential for me to rip out the carpet and ply and properly thermally / sound insulate the panels before refitting the ply and carpet?

Would be interesting to know if anyone has been in a similar situation and what they did. If there's no workaround and insulation is a must if I plan to use the van for weekend camping then I will do all the work, but thought I'd check to see if there's a workaround. Would also be great if anyone has recommendations on insulation... I have been looking at some packs on a website called Kiravans - anyone used their insulation?

It's my first conversion so I'm learning as I go!

Thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum. Usually the side panels are carpeted separately to the metal work of the van and can be easily removed to see what’s behind. If not you have a more difficult job on your hands.

Take the sliding door panel off and have a look what’s been done behind it, might give an indication of what the rest of the van is like.

you could also tap the outside of the van with your hand to see if you hear a 'ping' or a dull 'thud'. This will tell you if sound deadening has been applied to the panels. you could also drop the seller a message as they might be able to confirm for you.

you could also tap the outside of the van with your hand to see if you hear a 'ping' or a dull 'thud'. This will tell you if sound deadening has been applied to the panels. you could also drop the seller a message as they might be able to confirm for you.
Good shout

Thanks all! It looks like it's just metal underneath so I will remove the carpet to properly insulate the van! Does anyone have any recommendations of the sound proofing / thermal materials? I've been looking at a few kits online but they vary in price. I want something that is going to work well and last a long time but would be great if it's doesn't; cost the earth. Thanks again.

Dodmat is great stuff for sound deadening and they also do thermal stuff. A lot of self converters myself included use the b and q diall insulation as its half the price of camper stuff.
I used dodomat sound deadening, thermal foil lined foam from harrisons trim and the diall stuff. Noise is much quieter and the van stays warmer longer along with a diesel heater.

Back