Inexperienced tyrefitters

I have bought a cheap small one on recommendation from one forum or an or an other.. they sometimes come up at the Lidle et al type of place or on line and some one some where, will say its great value does the trick and an hour later someone comes up with something else even cheeper.

I have just ground off the bracket that holds the jack and have also been thinking carrying a bottle jack in lieu of using the standard jack. Is this common or do most people still carry the standard equipment?

I dont see the need for pucks on a transporter - there are 4 sturdy jacking points already - I wouldn’t go near the sill.

I have an Arcan trolley jack from Costco which came highly recommended on another forum. Its part ally. I have machine mart trolley jacks too but they only seem to last a few years and start leaking / dropping slowly.

I would only use a bottle jack for emergencies or lifting to put on axle stands whereas the trolley jack I would do certain jobs (without using axle stands) but would never go under it eg brake pads. Anything involving a struggle or going underneath I alway put on stands. I also tend to push the removed wheel under the vehicle just in case!

Ian

I have just ground off the bracket that holds the jack and have also been thinking carrying a bottle jack in lieu of using the standard jack. Is this common or do most people still carry the standard equipment?
The problem with bottle jacks is often stability, positioning and putting it on a stable base. The other is size and range, where it needs to be small enough to go in under the jacking point when the tyre is flat and have enough lift to get the full tyre off the ground.

I hate the "half scissor" supplied so I always use a garage trolly jack at home but I have just purchased a motorised scissor jack to carry around.
The new scissor jack arrives today so I'll be testing it out at the weekend.

The problem with bottle jacks is often stability, positioning and putting it on a stable base. The other is size and range, where it needs to be small enough to go in under the jacking point when the tyre is flat and have enough lift to get the full tyre off the ground.

I hate the "half scissor" supplied so I always use a garage trolly jack at home but I have just purchased a motorised scissor jack to carry around.
That sounds like a good option. Would be interested to see your feedback here in a few days

Dont forget the pics and a report :)

I'm looking to buy either a trolley jack or bottle jack for changing wheels either for repair or for summer to winter tyre changes. What is the most practical and can anybody recommend a brand please? Appreciate the advice on the hockey pucks etc.
Europarts are doing a nice offer at the moment

Europarts are doing a nice offer at the moment
I've been wondering if I need to go for more than a 2 tonne trolley jack for my SWB T30. I would also use axle stands. The other family cars are smaller & lighter.

I've been wondering if I need to go for more than a 2 tonne trolley jack for my SWB T30. I would also use axle stands. The other family cars are smaller & lighter.
If I was lifting the van regularly, I would buy a meatier jack. But for occasional use, I’d be fine with it!

Also be aware of the minumum saddle height if you have a lowered van, regular trolley jacks may not go low enough to get under the jacking points, you may need a low saddle height jack, or be prepared to roll the van onto some blocks to get it high enough to get the jack under it. (and remember to lower it back onto the blocks when you've finished)

To digress, perhaps you should try multipoint jacking. And a bit more of a mess if you drop it.

crossrail-oldoak18.jpg

If that's too much, once upon a time I built a railway bridge with 4 point jacking; comprising 4x100 tonne service jacks and 4x100 tonne standby jacks. Seen here in trial erection and in operation! Uniform lifting was critical here too.

Sorry, nothing to do with a T6, but was once close to my heart!

1986-1000 Trial erection for Trowse Swing Bridge, Butterley works 1.jpg1987-spring, Bridge opening, Trowse Swing Bridge.jpg

Hmm shame I'm only reading this now...
Lifted the rear to change wheel and dented the sill. Fuming with myself. Now read up and see the error of my attempt.
Reading this now you added your comment and 4 years in I’m still not sure where the jacking points are. I assume that if I ever remove the jack from the holder and offer it up to the side of the van it will be obvious where it goes. Or maybe I’ll get a man in to do it :)

Back