Inexperienced tyrefitters

I was just making the stickers, as we all know there are 2 jacking points in that location.
Talking of which, the "sill" one for the factory half jack, no longer fits now I have the sidebars.
I have just purchased a cheap motorised 2T scissor jack that I'm hoping will fit on the propper jacking point further under.
It is a pity that the bars can not be used to jack off from. Most of them appear to be a bit on superficial side and not up to doing very much.

It is a pity that the bars can not be used to jack off from. Most of them appear to be a bit on superficial side and not up to doing very much.

I’m fitting some for vanity reasons and the hope they will cause lots of damage to vehicles owned by inconsiderate car park users!

This maybe a ridiculously daft question but as my van is quite low and has the bars fitted. I found it almost impossible to Jack it up from this location. As the Jack rubbed on the bar joints. Is this a common problem?
yes it is.

should not need to be an expert to know where not to jack a vehicle up.

I guess the issue is that most modern cars jack up using the sill seam as this is the strongest point, and used by the jack in the spare wheel kit.

Ian

Last edited:
I guess the issue is that most modern cars jack up using the sill seal as this is the strongest point, and used buy the jack in the spare wheel kit.

Ian
Yeah like this for example but typically its strengthened or has a notch for the jack. I think we can all agree that most sensible people will know where to place jacks etc.
Cheers Ian

160631232142071461669311122594.jpg

That's alright then. A mate of mine years ago bought some for a Defender and used a high lift jack on them to change a wheel and they bent spectacularly. I do not recall what the brand name was. In the end he built up his own. They worked fine.:)

Buy some rubber hockey pucks, use an angle grinder with a thick disc on it to grind a groove through the middle, about 10mm deep.
The puck can then be placed on the sill edge and a regular trolley jack can be used to lift. No damage to paintwork and a more secure lifting point.

I bought 10 for 15 quid..

Last edited:
Back