Improving aesthetics whilst driving in the clouds?

Minefield? Yes absolutely...

In case of any help, my decision process played out more or less as follows:
1. Like bigger wheels (in my case, even though a new van it came with 20’ wheels...won’t explain why unless asked, but I liked them anyway)
2. Bigger wheels look a bit silly on standard ride height
3. 30mm VW lowering would improve look whilst maintaining dealer warranty, but compromise the ride even further than 20’ wheels do in any event...not acceptable
4. Opt for non-VW approved lowering, in my case 40mm H&R + Koni, accepting that VW warranty on suspension will be replaced by slightly shorter KONI and H&R warranties (my van was quite new), but I may be exposed if issues were to arise withdrive train etc (e.g. if CV joints were to fail, would Vw honour the warranty or claim that non-approved work invalidated it?

All of this can be avoided of course if you are happy with the standard wheels and ride height - believe it or not there are literally hundreds of thousands of VW van owners worldwide that would never give it a second thought or spend any energy searching for a forum about vans, yet their vans don’t habitually fall over or are laughed off the road

...but then again, if you wanted to be sensible you would have bought a bus pass already
Good advice. Thanks.
I‘m frantically Googling “Air on T6” following @Texxaco ’s assistance on this!..... still not gonna happen, but I can dream!

I will continue to dodge the bus pass....as long as I have my “Daddy Cab” job!

There are often spacers for sale on the forum if you hang around long enough.

There are often spacers for sale on the forum if you hang around long enough.
Thanks @CAB . It’s more seeing what they’ll look like at standard ride height with Devonports that I’m interested in, I’m ready to press the button and order them. I just don’t want to do it if it looks cr*p!

Reactions: CAB
Excellent. Thank you. I wonder what 25mm spacers will bring to this. Probably nothing from side on, but I think that the subtle difference from other angles may be worthwhile. Question is if it is £200ish worthwhile!

Van looks great by the way.
Thanks but that pic is about 2 years old now. Its a bit different now.

Lots of stuff popping out of this thread ha ha

Firstly Air is not always what it seems , The VB air system for levelling on camp sites is undoubtedly a great function , However depending what shocks are fitted to these various kits the ride can still be a bit dodgy , A few of the Air bag suppliers I spoke to still use the Standard VW shock as a base and that is what we are trying to get away from as they aren't that good . . Remember if you run an air suspension low the pressure in the bags is lower and the ride will be very bouncy . If you run at 20 mm down which is what they recommend there is little point spending 4 to 6 K on this solution ,

We did a mild Swamper suspension kit on Monday and i have to say it was by far the smoothest ride i have experienced in a Van !!! ( and i drive a lot of them ) Mild raise with spacers not heavier duty springs ( which dont ride well ) the KONI adjustable shocks . What a result . Ill find a picture

VW Warranty . They have left them selves open to criticism by supplying springs and Coil over kits direct. ( as they have fitting 20 Inch wheels as standard ) . How can they say one brand will harm the van and theirs wont, that simply doesn't make sense , the only thing they can moan about is Coil over kits set too low as this can stress the drive shafts .
There is also a grey area in the VW approved Statement . In the past when i have had products endorsed by a manufacturer they simply give it an " Recommended for use in " status not official approval which is a Very long winded process. The parts are then available world wide through their spares departments . I dont think that is the situation with the springs and coil overs supplied in uk , Maybe some one knows for sure ??Martin Swamper .jpg

Last edited:
Lots of stuff popping out of this thread ha ha

Firstly Air is not always what it seems , The VB air system for levelling on camp sites is undoubtedly a great function , However depending what shocks are fitted to these various kits the ride can still be a bit dodgy , A few of the Air bag suppliers I spoke to still use the Standard VW shock as a base and that is what we are trying to get away from as they aren't that good . . Remember if you run an air suspension low the pressure in the bags is lower and the ride will be very bouncy . If you run at 20 mm down which is what they recommend there is little point spending 4 to 6 K on this solution ,

We did a mild Swamper suspension kit on Monday and i have to say it was by far the smoothest ride i have experienced in a Van !!! ( and i drive a lot of them ) Mild raise with spacers not heavier duty springs ( which dont ride well ) the KONI adjustable shocks . What a result . Ill find a picture

VW Warranty . They have left them selves open to criticism by supplying springs and Coil over kits direct. ( as they have fitting 20 Inch wheels as standard ) . How can they say one brand will harm the van and theirs wont, that simply doesn't make sense , the only thing they can moan about is Coil over kits set too low as this can stress the drive shafts .
There is also a grey area in the VW approved Statement . In the past when i have had products endorsed by a manufacturer they simply give it an " Recommended for use in " status not official approval which is a Very long winded process. The parts are then available world wide through their spares departments . I dont think that is the situation with the springs and coil overs supplied in uk , Maybe some one knows for sure ??
Mine came with ABP Bilstein shocks and is a very smooth ride although I never drive it very low. More for shows than anything. The bonus to me is going off road and knowing I can raise it as required.
I am not on VB as don’t need the air levelling they offering right now although if I do in the future I can add the H system to my Air Lift 3P.
All in all I love it but again it’s very much a personal preference and a costly one too.

Mine came with ABP Bilstein shocks and is a very smooth ride although I never drive it very low. More for shows than anything. The bonus to me is going off road and knowing I can raise it as required.
I am not on VB as don’t need the air levelling they offering right now although if I do in the future I can add the H system to my Air Lift 3P.
All in all I love it but again it’s very much a personal preference and a costly one too.
The H system on Air Lift does not do the same thing as the VB air auto level for camping.

The H system on Air Lift does not do the same thing as the VB air auto level for camping.
Agreed it’s doesn’t but it does let you level the van when needed. All be it manually.

Excellent. Thank you. I wonder what 25mm spacers will bring to this. Probably nothing from side on, but I think that the subtle difference from other angles may be worthwhile. Question is if it is £200ish worthwhile!

Van looks great by the way.
You could always look on Pinterest, see if there are any images in there.

Teenager!
This is funny because I’m feeling out of touch! C19 has brought about this bulls*** approach where idiots like me are expected to understand loads of new alien stuff.... webinars.... conference calls....distanced sales.... absolute sh**!...... How will this lead to me fulfilling my job of installing and mending engines anyway? But alas the pressure to explore new and nearly always time consumingly pointless avenues is pushed upon idiots like me anyway!

A virtual pint.......seriously how is that even a thing? .....the world just needs to ***k off with the tech! All I want is to know if my van will look ok in my opinion with 25mm spacers at standard ride height!

My daughter will fill me in on what Pinterest is although I suspect this will me a ”Dad, what is wrong with you?” type of discussion!

Thanks though, I’ll give Pinterest a whirl!

Wait, forget ride heights for a second, you've ordered two vans?!
I know! It's going to be awesome! My wife will have a plush camper to take the kids away and I will have the other van to earn the dosh, transport my bikes and tow my boat with. There will be times that I have to be involved with the plush camper thing, but I'm good with my own company and I know that "my" van is going to be a beauty that I can use as a mobile garden shed! Social distancing is something I will further improve at, even if this includes my own family! Is that a bad thing? ;) (I hope she never joins this forum!)

I know! It's going to be awesome! My wife will have a plush camper to take the kids away and I will have the other van to earn the dosh, transport my bikes and tow my boat with. There will be times that I have to be involved with the plush camper thing, but I'm good with my own company and I know that "my" van is going to be a beauty that I can use as a mobile garden shed! Social distancing is something I will further improve at, even if this includes my own family! Is that a bad thing? ;) (I hope she never joins this forum!)
You could build in perspex screens ceiling to floor with microphone and speakers for each cubicle. then when the conversation is not to your liking turn their microphone down or off. Just remember to nod occasionally just to pretend that your part of he conversation.:rofl:

You could build in perspex screens ceiling to floor with microphone and speakers for each cubicle. then when the conversation is not to your liking turn their microphone down or off. Just remember to nod occasionally just to pretend that your part of he conversation.:rofl:
I already considered this when the "remove bulkhead option" was questioned!

I also see a glitch in that I'd need a longitudinal screen between the driver and passenger, although I could possibly justify this as "It's a C19 protection screen in case I have to transport any customers....honest love!"

I already considered this when the "remove bulkhead option" was questioned!

I also see a glitch in that I'd need a longitudinal screen between the driver and passenger, although I could possibly justify this as "It's a C19 protection screen in case I have to transport any customers....honest love!"
You obviously want to live for ever!:fast rofl:Your family must love you!:inlove::inlove::laugh:

Back