Improving aesthetics whilst driving in the clouds?

Samro

VIP Member
T6 Legend
It was August this year when me and the better half decided that our family Landrover Discovery is in need of replacing. This vehicle doubled up as a work vehicle and a family wagon.

We assessed our requirements in a vehicle and an order for a SWB 4motion T32 was placed.

It took no time at all for the better half to have aspirations on a camper conversion but I refused, as I need the vehicle for work as well as play....... Nag, nag, nag..... and...... a second vehicle (LWB T30) has been ordered with a conversion slot booked for spring 2021!

As a complete newbie to the VW transporter world, I would welcome some views from anyone experienced in this stuff:

I am convinced that the new vans will look very “high“, and I’m thinking 25mm spacers all round will help with the aesthetics, but I’m thinking of sticking with standard ride heights. I will also be sticking with the Devonports on both vehicles largely because I’ll be a but “spent out”, but also because I like them and the higher profile tyres will suit my needs best.

I just wondered what people’s views were on whether the vehicles would look stupid with 25mm spacers at standard ride height with trapezoid bars. If anyone has this set up, a photo or two would be really helpful.

The other thing I can’t decide upon is whether or not a splitter looks stupid when a vehicle is at standard ride height? Again if anyone has any pics this would be handy.

The reason for this request is that I was amazed at how early van converters need decisions! I’ve not even got the first van yet!

Good point, but it’s the SWB work van that I’m getting first. This is a T32 with no weight in it, apart from cargo! Hence the T32. (I like the idea of a “Sunday best” work van!) It will need to be functional, but I’d like to make it look like it’s not just been hired from Hertz!

Good point, but it’s the SWB work van that I’m getting first. This is a T32 with no weight in it, apart from cargo! Hence the T32. (I like the idea of a “Sunday best” work van!) It will need to be functional, but I’d like to make it look like it’s not just been hired from Hertz!
You could go with the swamper look, an option that might tick a few boxes for you.

@Samro I personally like bigger wheels and a moderately lower stance that levels the van out and deals with the grasshopper look (my personal preference)...but in all honesty, it is a very personal choice and you really shouldn’t be influenced by anyone else’s perception of aesthetics (or even hope to get a clear steer as you will get a hundred different ones). Some people like it ‘low as it can go’ and even lying on the ground when parked, whilst others like standard wheels and raised from standard (i.e. the same grasshopper on steroids)...ergo, you will find people liking anything within (and slightly beyond) the laws of physics, so you can rest assured that there really isn’t much that you can do that will look more ridiculous than everyone else, and even less you can do that won’t look ridiculous to some.

You never know @JOG it might be perfect but certainly won’t need a splitter :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: JOG
Thanks Texxaco, but what I really like looks wise is a lowered van, (not daft low but maybe 30-40mm)

I tow reasonably heavy stuff, carry heavy stuff and drive on paved (but bumpy) farm tracks. Also with both vans being new, I’m not mad keen on changing the stock suspension for a couple of years once I’ve sussed out my requirements and warranty issues pass. I can’t find any pictures of standard height vans with 25mm spacers all round. I think this will improve the look, but unsure if this is worth spending £230 on!

Sound advice! I love the look of some vans even if such looks wouldn’t suit my needs! It is a very subjective subject - there is no right or wrong!

@Samro I personally like bigger wheels and a moderately lower stance that levels the van out and deals with the grasshopper look (my personal preference)...but in all honesty, it is a very personal choice and you really shouldn’t be influenced by anyone else’s perception of aesthetics (or even hope to get a clear steer as you will get a hundred different ones). Some people like it ‘low as it can go’ and even lying on the ground when parked, whilst others like standard wheels and raised from standard (i.e. the same grasshopper on steroids)...ergo, you will find people liking anything within (and slightly beyond) the laws of physics, so you can rest assured that there really isn’t much that you can do that will look more ridiculous than everyone else, and even less you can do that won’t look ridiculous to some.
Totally agree with @Mysticboer, our vans are all about what ticks your box. Have a wonder around the web, get a grasp of the options based on your van.
So many different ways to go @Samro

Thanks Texxaco, but what I really like looks wise is a lowered van, (not daft low but maybe 30-40mm)

I tow reasonably heavy stuff, carry heavy stuff and drive on paved (but bumpy) farm tracks. Also with both vans being new, I’m not mad keen on changing the stock suspension for a couple of years once I’ve sussed out my requirements and warranty issues pass. I can’t find any pictures of standard height vans with 25mm spacers all round. I think this will improve the look, but unsure if this is worth spending £230 on!
@Samro If you can wait till tomorrow I can show you standard height with spacers on as mine is on air and I can set it to normal ride height.

My spacers are 15mm so you can then see how they look in the arches.

Reactions: JOG
@Samro If you can wait till tomorrow I can show you standard height with spacers on as mine is on air and I can set it to normal ride height.

Ooooh... air...... I like the sound of that! But much for me I think!:D
The pics would be great. Thanks

That’s clever....it never dawned on me that with air you could demo a lot of the height range!

Ooooh... air...... I like the sound of that! But much for me I think!:D
The pics would be great. Thanks
Air is awesome, set it how you want depending on how you’re feeling that day. Low or high it’s your call.

That’s clever....it never dawned on me that with air you could demo a lot of the height range!
Yeah you can set it up as you please, standard height, super low or high by double punching a preset button. My wife says I big kid and she is hang on. :rolleyes::sneaky:

Going to miss this! I tow a lot of customers boats and they seem incapable of maintaining a trailer. Air is awesome when jockey wheels are knackered as I can generally lower my disco lower than the trailer hitch and pick the load up.
How slick are the aftermarket air suspension installs? this is definitely something that I will look for my work van when my vw warrant expires. Are there any pitfalls regarding reduced axle weight, etc?

#minefield
Minefield? Yes absolutely...

In case of any help, my decision process played out more or less as follows:
1. Like bigger wheels (in my case, even though a new van it came with 20’ wheels...won’t explain why unless asked, but I liked them anyway)
2. Bigger wheels look a bit silly on standard ride height
3. 30mm VW lowering would improve look whilst maintaining dealer warranty, but compromise the ride even further than 20’ wheels do in any event...not acceptable
4. Opt for non-VW approved lowering, in my case 40mm H&R + Koni, accepting that VW warranty on suspension will be replaced by slightly shorter KONI and H&R warranties (my van was quite new), but I may be exposed if issues were to arise withdrive train etc (e.g. if CV joints were to fail, would Vw honour the warranty or claim that non-approved work invalidated it?

All of this can be avoided of course if you are happy with the standard wheels and ride height - believe it or not there are literally hundreds of thousands of VW van owners worldwide that would never give it a second thought or spend any energy searching for a forum about vans, yet their vans don’t habitually fall over or are laughed off the road

...but then again, if you wanted to be sensible you would have bought a bus pass already

Back