Ikea Bed Question...

Explorer

I know that there’s been lots of posts about the ‘Hammarn’ IKEA sofa bed being used inside as a useful bed - does anyone know if it’ll fit a Transporter Shuttle?
I’m getting mine in a week and am beginning to accumulate bits and pieces.

I love the larger slide-out beds but I’ll need to leave a seat in (or a crate) for the dog To travel in so I don’t think that there would be enough room for one of those (6.1 SWB)

Thanks

If you look near the end of the Caffeine & Machine 1 of 2 thread there are some pics of one in a kombi which may help. The owner is cooking on top of his fridge (so you know which pics!).

The mattress with it is gutless so you’ll need a topper!

Thanks for your reply. :) I thought I’d read all the threads with the bed in it but missed that one.
The reason I’m asking is that the Shuttle has lots of extra plastic trim, I think it might make it narrower. I just wondered if anyone was in the same position?

I will probably pick one up second hand meantime and save up for something else A little more substantial (my bf and I aren’t exactly lightweights ).

I’m keen on the U- shaped setups by Ply Guys. :)

I’ve also got an old IKEA memory foam mattress I’m planning on using .

We need a bed for occasional use (sounds a bit dodgy but isn’t!) and I had a good look at a slide pods set up last week end. 2/3 of the bed is supported by a 1” steel box frame and the final 1/3 on the back of the folded flat seats. This one had a simple pull out storage box rather than sink/cooker

I think I’m going to make a series of frames from CLS timber that bolt together, a plywood top then an ikea matress (cut into 3 for storage - they have a zip up cover so can be re-assembled inside the cover). I reckon < £200.

Ian

One thing about the Ikea bed is that it is 2m (ish) long so ends right where the second row of seats lock into the floor on a SWB van (hope you can see this in the C&M pics)

I did see that... a little figuring out needed re. dog travel and camping.... It would be fine if it’s just the two of us but with the pooch, a little more travelling space needed. I could always just put him in his crate while driving and fold it away during the night..

I need something removable, perhaps I should take an evening class in joinery skills (or welding) . Could be a lot of fun.
Karen

The guy with the slide pod had taken out the single seat in the second row (2 and 1 kombi seats) to make more floor space. Also, the slidepod bed sits about 50cm off the floor (as will mine) so lots of space underneath.

Its brilliant and fits perfectly in the back of my Kombi.
You need to remove one of the bars to make it fit and it also does need a mattress topper.
When not in use I leave it behind my rear seats as it acts as a parcel shelf and hides anything in the back of the van.
I can't recommend this bed enough and for £99.00 its an absolute bargain. It's so good, it's fit for a Lord.;)

762CBC72-5AF1-4BDF-AF14-24153A624F02_1_201_a.jpeg

A96CB8D1-D976-42B6-B717-31068FD0BAC9_1_201_a.jpeg

9D203510-D523-4C88-B66B-20D79B71CCE8_1_201_a.jpeg

Your pics look amazing , thanks:) - the problem is that when it’s folded down I won’t be able to have any of the rear seats in at all - I was kinda hoping to leave one in for the dog to travel on (or even my teenage daughter if she graces us with her presence ). Hmmm.

I know of some options (Kombi bed type) that unfold over the folded down rear seats..

Your pics look amazing , thanks:) - the problem is that when it’s folded down I won’t be able to have any of the rear seats in at all - I was kinda hoping to leave one in for the dog to travel on (or even my teenage daughter if she graces us with her presence ). Hmmm.

I know of some options (Kombi bed type) that unfold over the folded down rear seats..
new-bed-new-visions.10634
Have a look at this thread. It's the Forty winks bed.

[QUOTE="Explorer, post: I know of some options (Kombi bed type) that unfold over the folded down rear seats..[/QUOTE]

I have bought this bed to go in our spare room at home knowing that it can also double as a bed for the back of my LWB Kombi. I too would prefer to leave the back seats in and am considering trying to mount the unfolded bed at a height that allows it to sit on the folded flat rear seats. One end of the bed has a fold down leg/bar that can be left up to make this possible but I am yet to see if it is a viable option.

I know that it can unfold completely if you have a LWB without having to remove the seats. I managed to pick one up from Gumtree for a great price, that’ll be fine until I figure things out.

The ‘Forty Winks’ bed does look fab -very strong.

I get my 6.1 on Monday (yay! - excited!) so I’ll spend a little time with it - figuring out what I want from it as a multi use vehicle.

The Grenoside (I think) from the Ply Guys is a full width R&R that is high enough that it folds over the back seats and so would also allow me to leave the back seats in... but I really like the idea of a side, slide out sofa (lots of different suppliers).

First weekend away next weekend so I’ll get a better feeling for what I would prefer.
Karen

It doesn’t need fixing down if your wheel arches are carpeted then it should wedge between them and hold position. Having said that I think some do use bungee cords but not sure how

It doesn’t need fixing down if your wheel arches are carpeted then it should wedge between them and hold position. Having said that I think some do use bungee cords but not sure how
That is true but I store stuff under mine so feel better with it strapped to the lashing points in the back.
Any more pics of the ikea bed fitted in a t6 and what’s the best way to fix to the floor.
I'll post some pics in tomorrow, when I'm back in the van.

So can you use this bed in a LWB kombi whilst still using the rear seat as in normal position or do you have to fold the seat flat for this to work.

I'm not sure about length as the only pictures I have seen are in a SWB. Obviously folding the kombi seats won't gain any length but I'm sure they will be too high anyway without lifting the bed.

If you want to leave the seats in then I'm sure you will need a Kombi bed SWB or LWB.

I purchased the Infinity Customs Slim one for about £220. Quite a few folks have had shall we say issues with deliveries and customer care but my bed came on time and intact.

This was the cheapest option I could find to allow me to keep in the seats and also store my bike inside the van.

1643285676175.png

1643285711132.png

Last edited:
Back