How to remove T6.1 DRL bulbs

marmite monster

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Rough guide to removing t6.1 drl bulbs

This is an absolute b*****d of a job, rang vw dealer they had no idea how to do it yet either.
This is the offending article!
92ABF194-D8E1-49F6-B9FE-1F1B0D74E902.jpeg

To remove the bulb turn the white part towards the engine. I think this is how it’s supposed to be done but it’s so tight you need to take the plug off first. This is tight but use a small screw driver to lift up up gently. 6E3D6785-814E-4D72-90AB-A8E595749F23.jpeg
This is the bulb once removed. Nothing like the t6 drl bulb, was hoping to use the same aftermarket led bulb
5F805C1A-69F4-457A-B79C-8F351BDEB192.jpeg
to get the bulb back in you need to first put the black plug back onto the-rear of the light, there is a bit that it clips onto, circled green in the next picture.
Once the wiring plug is clipped on then put the bulb into the hole and turn the bulb away from the engine, the 3 prongs will then slide into place. I spent 2 hours trying to work that out lol. Putting the bulb in the hole first then trying to attach the plug does not work.
A3C71953-4419-4DEF-B82F-A5468706399E.jpeg
Hope this helps someone lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Good info @marmite monster

Out of curiosity, are the new 6.1 headlights H4 or H7 main beam. If they're H4, is a H7 available like on the T6 or is it just H4 and LED options.

Kev

Cheers @Loz

So are the options in 6.1 H15 and LED. I'm going to write a post on my experience of T6 H4, THQ, OEM H7, LED and HID journey. I just thought I'd get some information on next steps and the options if I facelift

This is crap news!
Went to change my bulbs tonight popped off cover as saw the wierd whit plastic staring back instead of the spring clip I had hoped....

So I cannot fit the h7 THQ LEDs?

Great info backed up with pics, cheers boys.
I have an entertainment system which runs off 2 clicks on ignition, which means DRL on, or will auto off after 5mins if on 1 click of ignition.
so question is …. Can DRL be switched off when ignition is on but engine is off ?

Olly

I’ve just managed to do this what an absolute PITA so the drivers side (RHD ) turns into the engine, anti clockwise from the back of the light, and the passenger turns anti clockwise the same, there is no need to remove the black plug from the top asks they twist out of that, they’re just really tight I used a pair of pliers in the end, im guessing it doesn’t help having hands like shovels, thank f**k that’s done. Hope this help someone

Hi, how did you get on fitting the h15's with the lead from the bulb into the vw connector?
They are a complete bar steward to fit. Took the skin off my knuckles doing it as the damn things are fiddly to get to inside the housing, and a complete PITA to release the first time you do it. Offside was easier as there a bit more room to play with there.

Once freed up, it was a bit easier, but getting the connector to align and snap back into place when you put the new bulbs in isn’t as easy as it ought to be. Found some videos and chat which suggested that you should fit the connector to the bulb then insert and twist into place. Biggest problem is that you are having to reconnect purely by feel, and whilst it seems like is connected, the first few times, it clearly wasn’t and the connecter fell off. Found it easier in the end to fit the bulb and then fit the connector afterwards. Doesn’t lock in quite the same, but they’ve been on like that for several hundred miles now without issue, so seems to work.

Suffice to say, I hope I don’t need to change them again anytime soon!

Sounds like a fun job! Might take the headlamps out then , thanks for the reply, it's on my list of jobs though might have slipped a few places further down!

Back