How to be a considerate camper?

Cutting across my pitch really boils my piss, I’ve had a pop at loads of lazy feckers when we’ve been away. I put up a windbreak between my caravan and van and still somebody thought it would be ok to squeeze through!?

There’s a business opportunity for someone to invent a non-lethal pitch mine loaded with dog shit to prevent these cretins.
We had one last week that walked past us onto our hard standing to use a water tap allocated to our pitch rather than use the ‘public’ one nearby. He would fill a kettle with water then stay there for an age, drinking from, and refilling a bottle a number of times. It was surreal the first time, annoying the second, then funny the third time when he couldn’t open an overtightened tap! Never saw him afterwards. No verbal confrontation needed which can sometimes leave me stewing because they come back at me with some absurd justification for what they are doing. King of my pitch on this occasion!

Camp in a public toilet? Isn’t that cottaging?!!
(Apologies in advance - I just couldn’t let that one pass!)
Don’t write it off, sometimes I get paid.
I have slept in a public toilet in Brazil, had I been outside I would have been mugged.

• Haha
Reactions: JOG
We had one last week that walked past us onto our hard standing to use a water tap allocated to our pitch rather than use the ‘public’ one nearby. He would fill a kettle with water then stay there for an age, drinking from, and refilling a bottle a number of times. It was surreal the first time, annoying the second, then funny the third time when he couldn’t open an overtightened tap! Never saw him afterwards. No verbal confrontation needed which can sometimes leave me stewing because they come back at me with some absurd justification for what they are doing. King of my pitch on this occasion!
There’s no doubt most of us live a stressed life on an overcrowded island, just a pity we can’t wind down when we are supposed to be relaxing.

Spot on mate, I’m sick of dog lovers who bang the dog up in the four walls 6 days a week and then spend Sunday telling anyone in hear shot how they ‘rescued’ it.......he’s a rescue, took so much work....... Animal lovers my arse, they aren’t hearing their dog howling indoors Monday to Saturday.
All I wanted was the “ Sound of Silence “

SWMBO and I fancy staying in Wee Retreat in Sherringham - it was on Grand Designs and is a converted public convenience right on the sea wall!

Last edited:
If you're taking a charcoal bbq with you consider if your neighbours want the smoke drifting into their camper/tent. Gas is more considerate but it all depends upon the size of your plot and the distance your bbq is to the other campers.

Also, be considerate where you put your guy lines. I've had people stretch theirs onto my pitch before. Tends to cause a few disgruntlements.

Also, I think it might already have been mentioned but, if you've got a dog that barks at each passing person or dog, keep them behind a wind breaker/screen where they can't see the passing people or dogs.

Finally, If you're going to sing at the top of your voice, and I'd advise against it, please God don't let it be Sweet Caroline!

I try and avoid stress on campsites by avoiding busy campsites or if it is busy by not getting stressed about things that are inevitable in the circumstances. Or else I'd just be winding myself up.
Avoiding busy campsites this year is getting more and more difficult- I would practice the non stress approach

Reactions: CAB
Here are a few of my tips, in addition to the good responses above.

Avoid the #swishbang of the sliding door, from the outside, close to the catch point then use your palm to do the final latch. From the inside fit a glass carrier to the inside glass and use it to pull close at night, then let the power latch complete the close.

Try to educate the family to close the doors quietly, (some vehicles have 20 doors by the sound of it)

Don't use the key fob to lock the door, use the button on the driver's door. Late-night alarms are very annoying and just tell everyone you don't know what you are doing.

Turn headlight switch from AUTO to off as soon as you arrive, Floodlighting the campers opposite when you get back from the pub is not appreciated.

Sort out your van and put away stuff you don't want knicked before you get legless and fall into bed!

Put your chairs under the van at night unless you want wet seats to sit on at breakfast.

Be careful what you leave in awnings … the local wildlife may visit during the night.
my wife had her new shoes chewed and the knocked by a fox. She was not happy when I called the fox jimmy.

( because Jimmy chews shoes )

Here are a few of my tips, in addition to the good responses above.

Avoid the #swishbang of the sliding door, from the outside, close to the catch point then use your palm to do the final latch. From the inside fit a glass carrier to the inside glass and use it to pull close at night, then let the power latch complete the close.

Try to educate the family to close the doors quietly, (some vehicles have 20 doors by the sound of it)

Don't use the key fob to lock the door, use the button on the driver's door. Late-night alarms are very annoying and just tell everyone you don't know what you are doing.

Turn headlight switch from AUTO to off as soon as you arrive, Floodlighting the campers opposite when you get back from the pub is not appreciated.

Sort out your van and put away stuff you don't want knicked before you get legless and fall into bed!

Put your chairs under the van at night unless you want wet seats to sit on at breakfast.
AND when you do leave the van, especially if the poptop is up, double press the lock button to disable the internal sensors. Saves your alarm from annoying every man & his dog whilst you’re at the beach/pub/hills.

AND when you do leave the van, especially if the poptop is up, double press the lock button to disable the internal sensors. Saves your alarm from annoying every man & his dog whilst you’re at the beach/pub/hills.
Interesting, why would having the pop-top open cause the internal sensors to go off?

Interesting, why would having the pop-top open cause the internal sensors to go off?
I’ve never had that problem, however I wouldn’t leave anything hanging or stored in the roof space that could fall down below the roof level.

Without wanting to sound patronising, you want to be the person that someone else would invite around for a drink or a meal. Look at other people, see what annoys you about their behaviour & make sure you don’t do the same. As I said previously, don’t be that tw4t that everyone hates.

Bloody tent/awning zips are worse for me. Why has nobody come up with a quiet zip??
they kinda have, . . . finally.

Outwell have now added "Quiet Access" as a feature in the 2021 range.

its well smart. you get the standard zipped door . . but also get a magnetic side opening.( that has a security zip behind it)

1630089025450.png

for the rest of us, we will have to go with this stuff and hope.

1630089083451.png

This^.

Also - there’s a VCDS tweak to turn the DRL’s off when the handbrake is applied, so you can run the engine discreetly if need be.
yeh thats a good one . . . done that on mine.

Without wanting to sound patronising, you want to be the person that someone else would invite around for a drink or a meal. Look at other people, see what annoys you about their behaviour & make sure you don’t do the same. As I said previously, don’t be that tw4t that everyone hates.
Ah! That rules me out then!!!

Back