How often are your vans doing a regen?

Sals

T6 Pro
This T6 is my 6th VW after 5 caddy’s which all had DPF

My last caddy was a 2018, like my T6 but regens where 15 min max and maybe every 100-150 miles

This T6 is 60-70 miles and can be 3/4 times a tank always lasting 25-30 mins and they just won’t give up if I stop at any poinT

I’m getting so fed up with how much fuel it’s using, how it drives like shit during and why it’s so often.

Im so fed up I’m tempted to make a complaint with it not being fit for purpose

I have had VW out to me twice to do regens on the spot as they just wouldn’t stop going

Anyone able to help? So peed off with it

Sounds about right. My 150 averages 3 regens per full tank and they do take along time.

I use premium fuel with Millers diesel additive, I definitely get less regens than when I ran on supermarket fuel for a while.

I try hard to let the regens complete and will do an extra few miles in order to get the cycle finished.

Euro 6 and DPF affect all modern diesels, I’ve got Transits at work who are a pain too.

This T6 is my 6th VW after 5 caddy’s which all had DPF

My last caddy was a 2018, like my T6 but regens where 15 min max and maybe every 100-150 miles

This T6 is 60-70 miles and can be 3/4 times a tank always lasting 25-30 mins and they just won’t give up if I stop at any poinT

I’m getting so fed up with how much fuel it’s using, how it drives like shit during and why it’s so often.

Im so fed up I’m tempted to make a complaint with it not being fit for purpose

I have had VW out to me twice to do regens on the spot as they just wouldn’t stop going

Anyone able to help? So peed off with it
What sort of journeys are you doing ?
Just short trips, or a mixture ?

A real mix, never start stop. 15min journeys minimum
Mines a van, serviced at Vw long life intervals
I often don`t notice the regens, unless i`m driving around town. Even if I do notice, it drives pretty much the same. Just ticks over at slightly higher rpm
It seems that these vans can vary so much on mpg.
I do vary my driving and the van can be very loaded, or almost empty. Sometimes poodle about, sometimes as fast as it will go.
Maybe worth trying a fuel additive. I do use 2EHN most of the time, so maybe that helps

Does this not happen on EU5s?
I've done 10K miles in my EU5 2016 Kombi which I bought a year ago, it's a 140 with a Pendle map to about 175. I've never noticed a regen occurring, never heard the fan on after I've switched off. The only clue I've ever had is sometimes the stop start function doesn't work, which I guess might be because it doesn't switch off during a regen.

Reactions: DXX
The thing with regens is to let the bloddy thing finish frying the soot in the DPF rather than let the van sit out front impersonating the sound of a vacuum cleaner, otherwise it goes straight back into trying to complete next time you go out.

Vote 2 for Shell v power... although it's probably a placebo effect.

Have to say the T6 regens a lot less than the Seat Leon FR 2.0 tdi 184 we used to have, that poor thing was cremating soot sometimes twice in one week thanks to the wife driving it gently at tickover on her short daily commute through Northamptons picturesque cobbled dual carriageways... roll on full electric being normal and the internal confusion engine being a distant stinking noisy bad memory.

In summer you can sometimes smell scorched engine exhaust if you have the window open and all other times the engine just feels and sounds a bit more raucous with a tickover at around 1,000 rpm so enough above normal to notice.

What would be useful would be a warning light on the dash when a regen’ is taking place.
I never know when my van is doing one until I stop and hear the fan going.

Much the same for me too. If I know because of the fan or engine revs go up slightly after stopping, I just set off again immediately. Choosing a route that will allow a stead sensible speed if possible. It would be very helpful if a tell tail were available to warn if a Regeneration was taking place. Then we could just drive appropriately until it has finished.

I see your Liverpool badge, we where very unfortunate yesterday. A dreadful assault commited by the home keeper.

I think I had a re-gen‘ on my Euro 5 on a 60 MPH motorway run, no dash warning but when I stopped at the service station the van smelt like very hot brakes.
I rolled the van and no brakes binding so that‘s my only explanation. If it does occur regularly on a Euro 5 I’ve only noticed it once or twice in 3 years.

Have you got a Carista obd adaptor or can you borrow one . If so you can run a app called VAG DPF .
It will show the amount of soot and ash in the dpf and you can see it filling and cleaning .
The app only works on android phone or tablet not apple . My euro 5 after 60000 miles only cleans back to 20% now but will do 300 to 400 miles on motorway but only about 150 miles around town .
you can see the temperature of the dpf and if it’s not reaching 600 to 700 deg then it won’t clean so could be a faulty sensor or ERG not closing .
it’s a cheap way to see what’s going on and get to understand how it works .

I've done 10K miles in my EU5 2016 Kombi which I bought a year ago, it's a 140 with a Pendle map to about 175. I've never noticed a regen occurring, never heard the fan on after I've switched off. The only clue I've ever had is sometimes the stop start function doesn't work, which I guess might be because it doesn't switch off during a regen.
I've had the fan running after stopping, and times when the start/stop doesn't happen - maybe that's it. Not noticed fuel consumption changing.

Have you got a Carista obd adaptor or can you borrow one . If so you can run a app called VAG DPF .
It will show the amount of soot and ash in the dpf and you can see it filling and cleaning .
The app only works on android phone or tablet not apple . My euro 5 after 60000 miles only cleans back to 20% now but will do 300 to 400 miles on motorway but only about 150 miles around town .
you can see the temperature of the dpf and if it’s not reaching 600 to 700 deg then it won’t clean so could be a faulty sensor or ERG not closing .
it’s a cheap way to see what’s going on and get to understand how it works .
Is this android only?
Anything for Apple?

Edit. My bad. Should have read it all...

Mines a EU5 and in 103k I've never noticed a regen (and I know what to expect) but I do 99% motorway miles. But I feel your pain OP, I had a T5 which behaved exactly the same and eventually lead me to selling it. VW never got to the bottom of why the regens would happen so often, they even changed the ECU and the injectors. I don't know how to help you, and VW will never admit to the problem, it just seems very random.

Back