How much to spend on fixing bodywork before selling?

Rabxtream

Hi all, I’m new to this forum, after some advice on what to do with my van please.

I bought a T5 white panel van that had a DIY conversion 8 years ago, and it’s served me well but I am now looking to sell it as I want to buy a newer van and get it professionally converted.

The van has approx 122k on the clock, 2007 plate startline van, pop top roof, rib bed, cooker, sink etc. However it does have minor dents & scratches here and there. The worst part is where we have had the bike rack on the back door - the pads have worn away and there are now two large rust patches on the tailgate.

I’ve been quoted about £1000 to fix all the dents, sort the rust on the tailgate and paint/ touch up the remainder. My quandary is whether or not I should spend this amount on the bodywork before I sell. Best case I add value to the van, or make it more attractive to buyers. Worst case I loose money overall if I can’t recoup the money I spent on the bodywork through the sale.

So how much should I spend on the bodywork before I put it on the market? And where’s the line for making or losing money by fixing the bodywork before a sale?

Any advice would be greatly received.

It's a sellers market at the moment, with a lot of new buyers looking. They could be put off by superficial damage, so it could be worth getting it sorted.

Pete

Personally I'd walk away from any car/van like that, could suggest its unloved and had a hard life.

I’m happy to accept a few minor fixable issues if the price is right and reflective.

Perhaps give it a really good clean / polish up and advertise as is and see what interest you get. You can always tidy up fully and re-advertise.

Somebody might be interested in your van with the rust and dents as they are.... ‘patina’?:whistle:

Thanks for the advice guys, not a simple decision, I think I will need get the tailgate done at least as that’s the bit that sticks out the most.

If you’re not in a hurry to sell advertise it without repairs at the price you would want after the repairs. If it sells you are up.
If the damage concerns prospective buyers drop the price or do the repairs.

Hey Rabx

Speaking from recent experience do a completely honest advert and list all the faults and reasons for sale and sell it as is, tear strips off it in your advert, be brutal.
I just sold my 2009 t5 lwb Kombi with both mechanical and bodywork issues within 12 hrs of putting it up. I really wanted to get it perfect but to be frank a van that is over ten years old with 165k on the clock is never going to be; so sell it as is. I could have sold it 20 times over but got a price above what i was expecting
T6 lwb arrives Thursday hope the purchasing experiance is as good as the sales
good luck

Throw a few pics up so we can see. It might not as bad as you think.

Last year I sold my old transporter and the family AMG estate. Both had a few carpark dings and builders scratches on the van bumper.

I spent £440 getting PDR carried out and a respray on the bumper.
Both were pretty spotless when sold.
Did it make more money? No
Was it an easier sale? Don't think so
Would I do it again? Probably but for no real advantage to myself.

I've always told myself the cleanest the vehicle will look is the day you put it for sale.

As said above I think if it's a genuine advert with decent pics, priced accordingly it will sell in no time.

Back