Hidden clips question

Diesel9a1

T6 Pro
On MVM their hidden panel clips say for use on 4mm panels.
The ply wall panels are 6mm..... do they still work?

Roof trim strips, if carpeted and the roof panels are carpeted, what longer clips to folk use?

Thanks in advance.

So got this ply line and see it is much bigger than the standard panel. The hidden clips would surely not reach the holes in the van. Also this requires the panel to be bent, so surely screws to the van must be the best way to fit this panel. This panel therefore fits further away from the wall and thereby reducing van space. If screwing, what screws would you suggest?

This panel also covers the seat belt post, so holes need cutting in. Plus would the seat belt trim fit over the hole after carpeting?

I started to cut it down, but stopped to rethink.

Any advice?

20170325_145220.jpg 20170325_153559.jpg

I think 6mm may be to thick for the hidden clips, I've also had issues with the rear panels using the hidden clips with 4mm ply, they wont stay in on the middle of the rear panel !! so going to rethink and maybe replace the full set of clips with the extra long vw ones.

@Diesel9a1 and @superflyguy, Guys, is it possible to recess these clips in the ply using a Forstner of a spade bit to cut a pocket in the ply. The recess can be plugged if necessary - I'm not to sure how these clips are mounted on the ply whether from the back or front.

Last edited:
I used 6mm ply for the big panels ,I used a countersink bit on the face side .when I put the clips in I made sure they were fully pulled through .

So got this ply line and see it is much bigger than the standard panel. The hidden clips would surely not reach the holes in the van. Also this requires the panel to be bent, so surely screws to the van must be the best way to fit this panel. This panel therefore fits further away from the wall and thereby reducing van space. If screwing, what screws would you suggest?

This panel also covers the seat belt post, so holes need cutting in. Plus would the seat belt trim fit over the hole after carpeting?

I started to cut it down, but stopped to rethink.

Any advice?

View attachment 6382 View attachment 6383
I think you have got a pannel van ply kit .
My ply kit was exactly the same as original hardboard .
I think that's why the clips aren't working ,because the pannel is not fitting into the recess.

Looking at the Kiravans site, it mentions for their side step:
"The Kombi step is 9mm taller than the standard van step and works very well with 12mm ply flooring covered in vinyl placed directly on the metal van floor"

VW Side step - the correct height for ply lined floors.

So in answer to my own question, it looks like I've ended up ordering a poxy van kit instead of a Kombi style kit. I've never read that on any blogs anywhere!

There are three depths of side step, standard van then the kombi step which is a little deeper to accomodate the cushioned rubber flooring thats come in them then the caravelle step is deeper again to accommodate the inset rails that the seats slide on which makes the floor thicker again

Did you get to the bottom of the hidden clip issue? I was planning on doing my panels 6mm very shortly but now worried the hidden clips require a thinner ply?

Did you get to the bottom of the hidden clip issue? I was planning on doing my panels 6mm very shortly but now worried the hidden clips require a thinner ply?
4mm is better for side doors and the small seat belt panel ,as 6mm plus carpet looks a bit thick .

Don't bother with the longer clips for the roof strips. They just make the strips stick out more, so stay with the normal ones, but do order some more as you will break some when taking them out.

@xpfloyd I have pondered getting my router out and routing a 2.2mm depth hole in the 6mm ply and there by making them fit. Might have to go from the outer face of the ply though as from the back would be making the clip length shorter...... unless there are longer ones out there in the market place?

@xpfloyd I have pondered getting my router out and routing a 2.2mm depth hole in the 6mm ply and there by making them fit. Might have to go from the outer face of the ply though as from the back would be making the clip length shorter...... unless there are longer ones out there in the market place?
That's exactly what I was getting at. From the outer face and plug after inserting the clips so you have a smooth surface to carpet.

I just used a countersink bit from the face ,the fit perfectly ,I just got a small screwdriver and made sure they were pulled fully through .

Tried the hidden clips with 6mm ply.
9mm hole,
slightly countersunk the back of the panel
Router on the front by 1.2mm ish and slightly off centre.

Looks not too bad. Not sure what ito will look like with the carpet over the top.

The photos show different attempts, but the bottom right clip on the left pic, is the best attempt.

20170401_125523.jpg 20170401_125641.jpg

Tried the hidden clips with 6mm ply.
9mm hole,
slightly countersunk the back of the panel
Router on the front by 1.2mm ish and slightly off centre.

Looks not too bad. Not sure what ito will look like with the carpet over the top.

The photos show different attempts, but the bottom right clip on the left pic, is the best attempt.

View attachment 6579 View attachment 6580
I can't see them through my carpet ,if you run your finger over you can only just feel them

Back