Hidden clips question

I'm planning to use hidden clips. What's the recommended ply thickness to use for the panels please?

I got 3.6 mm ply from travis Perkins, and the hidden fixings from Harrison’s Trim Supplies work a treat. Redone all of my panels including the tailgate in this manner.
Well worth doing in hidden clips imo. Had previously paid for it to be lined out and they covered the original hardboard and then screwed it back on. I ripped it all out a couple of weeks ago as I could always see the little slits in the carpet where the screws were located. Way happier with the finish I have now achieved.

D27C2C6A-8E3B-43E9-8AD0-E5B9146EC5FC.jpeg

I got 3.6 mm ply from travis Perkins, and the hidden fixings from Harrison’s Trim Supplies work a treat. Redone all of my panels including the tailgate in this manner.
Well worth doing in hidden clips imo. Had previously paid for it to be lined out and they covered the original hardboard and then screwed it back on. I ripped it all out a couple of weeks ago as I could always see the little slits in the carpet where the screws were located. Way happier with the finish I have now achieved.

View attachment 18466
@DaveyB Do you find it any quieter with ply panels rather than the originals?

@DaveyB Do you find it any quieter with ply panels rather than the originals?
Sorry @RussGT6 because it is insulated and sound deadened couldn’t tell you either way. They are roughly the same thickness as the original hardboard items, but i’m hoping will be a tad stronger, since I did damage the original tailgate board.

Can anyone help me with which clips to use for the head liner in the back? Iv used hidden clips for all the sides and it has worked fine..
I’m putting fake suede up with led lights and DVD player in the roof.. so I need it to be extra strong. Any ideas or best way?

I used a combination of hidden clips around the edges, supplemented with a couple of screws screwed into the central beam across the roof. I then used screwcovers over the screw heads. It does mean that you don’t end up with a “clean” roof liner, but at least you know it’s not going anywhere.
I found the 2 roof liners much harder to fit than the side panels.

Pete

@Absolut5 use 6mm and hidden clips. They have a special way of doing I'm sure. :)

View attachment 18466

Did you just draw around the original hardboard? and cut the plywood then?

Don't bother with the longer clips for the roof strips. They just make the strips stick out more, so stay with the normal ones, but do order some more as you will break some when taking them out.
What are they called the roof clips that keep both roof panels in?there shaped like T

Can anyone help me with which clips to use for the head liner in the back? Iv used hidden clips for all the sides and it has worked fine..
I’m putting fake suede up with led lights and DVD player in the roof.. so I need it to be extra strong. Any ideas or best way?
How did you do? Im literally doing mine exactly the same, I've put suede over roof panels but havent yet piered the holes for clips? Any advice?

View attachment 18466
I got my hidden trim clips today from transporter HQ and on 3.6mm ply panels with what seem to be 8mm dia holes I can’t seem to get the damn things to twist through. Is there a knack the inserting them? Bigger hole diameter?

I got my hidden trim clips today from transporter HQ and on 3.6mm ply panels with what seem to be 8mm dia holes I can’t seem to get the damn things to twist through. Is there a knack the inserting them? Bigger hole diameter?
I know from when I was doing mine there are 2 sizes if hidden clips. The ones from Harrison’s use the same sized holes as the OEM panels. The ones from MVM use smaller diameter holes. I got some slightly different ones from another place that ripped my fingers to bits trying to get them to fit.

Back