Rear quarter ply panel removal

danny1313

Sorry, bit of a daft question, but looking at how to remove the rear quarter panel. My van was already lined when I brought it but I'd like to fit some slam vents as my tailgate doesn't close particularly well.

I've had a good look at the panel there are no visible trim clips nor screws on it and it seems solidly attached - are there special hidden clips that fitters use for these or do these panels sometimes get glued in. Hoping to avoid breaking it if possible.

IMG_9080.jpg

Sorry, bit of a daft question, but looking at how to remove the rear quarter panel. My van was already lined when I brought it but I'd like to fit some slam vents as my tailgate doesn't close particularly well.

I've had a good look at the panel there are no visible trim clips nor screws on it and it seems solidly attached - are there special hidden clips that fitters use for these or do these panels sometimes get glued in. Hoping to avoid breaking it if possible.

View attachment 215555
They may be screwed in , if it's thick ply sometimes hidden clips are not strong enough to hold panel in. Small slit in carpet to open enough for screwhead screwed in then slit glued back together

If hidden clips have been used it best to use a trim tool. You will probably be able to tell where the clips are by just feeling for a slight bump in the carpet and / or with the trim tool. Then gently prise the panel away.

If 3.6mm ply has been used then it’s likely to be hidden clips. Any thicker and could be screwed.

You could be bold and leave the panel in place, and cut the hole in-situ. I used a circular vent cover, just push fit, and it doubles as an access panel for a fusebox.

Sussed it, thanks for the advice. Looks like a factory hard board panel that’s been covered with hidden clips that gripped very well! Not sure they’ll go back in! Found the inner panel totally carpeted so that’s probably why the boot doesn’t shut particularly well

IMG_9087.jpeg

IMG_9084.jpeg

IMG_9085.jpeg

Last edited:
Back